Excel Line Chart keeps resetting to plot null values when I close the file

tewellt

I am having an issue with my Excel line chart. I am plotting to values accross a time span. Currently there are only three points to plot. When I created the chart I marked the one series as primary. and the chart comes out fine charting only the three points. However, when I close the file ad then reopen it the chart has extended to all of the days along the y axies. So the chart shows the three dates with values and the remaining dates are charted with a null value. If I go in and change the setting from Primary to Secondary and then back to Primary the chart redisplays correctly. I have clear the content os all the cells that have no data but that doe not help. I have about 10 other line charts in the same file which this is ot happening to. What can I try to stop this from occuring?

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Instead of charting the data for the range of the whole time span, create a dynamic chart that only plots the filled cells. If you do a search for something like Excel dynamic chart, you'll find many guides and examples. Here's one...
Build dynamic charts in Excel

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
20rayallen

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back