Excel match text in Description

Slongy

Hi. I have about 70K rows of data. This is a pull from a CRM system and one of the columns contains Free text which may or may not contain a reference ID.

So basically, I need to be able to identify which (if any) of the 60 or so Reference ID appears somewhere in the text. It may be at the beginning, somewhere in the middle or at the end.

So i created two formulas:

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("MEBIG3",$P:$P))

I created 60 or so of these columns, all with a different Reference ID (MEBIG3 being the ID in this instance). I put the Reference ID in the Cell 1 of each of the columns. I then got a True in the cells wherever I matched the Ref ID to in the description field.
I then created another column with this:

=IF(AO4=TRUE,$AO$1,IF(AP4=TRUE,$AP$1,IF(AQ4=TRUE,$AQ$1,IF(AR4=TRUE,$AR$1,IF(AS4=TRUE,$AS$1,IF(AT4=TRUE,$AT$1,IF(AU4=TRUE,$AU$1,IF($AV$2=TRUE,AV3,IF($AW$2=TRUE,$AW$1,IF(AX4=TRUE,$AX$1,IF(AY4=TRUE,$AY$1,IF(AZ4=TRUE,$AZ$1,IF(BA4=TRUE,$BA$1,IF(BB4=TRUE,$BB$1,IF(BC4=TRUE,$BC$1,IF(BD4=TRUE,$BD$1,IF(BE4=TRUE,$BE$1,IF(BF4=TRUE,$BF$1,IF(BG4=TRUE,$BG$1,IF(BH4=TRUE,$BH$1,IF(BI4=TRUE,$BI$1,IF(BJ4=TRUE,$BJ$1,IF(BK4=TRUE,$BK$1,IF(BL4=TRUE,$BL$1,IF(BM4=TRUE,$BM$1,IF(BN4=TRUE,$BN$1,IF(BO4=TRUE,$BO$1,IF(BP4=TRUE,$BP$1,IF(BQ4=TRUE,$BQ$1,IF(BR4=TRUE,$BR$1,IF(BS4=TRUE,$BS$1,IF(BT4=TRUE,$BT$1,IF(BU4=TRUE,$BU$1,IF(BV4=TRUE,$BV$1,IF(BW4=TRUE,$BW$1,IF(BX4=TRUE,$BX$1,IF(BY4=TRUE,$BY$1,IF(BZ4=TRUE,$BZ$1,IF(CA4=TRUE,$CA$1,IF(CB4=TRUE,$CB$1,IF(CC4=TRUE,$CC$1,IF(CD4=TRUE,$CD$1,IF(CE4=TRUE,$CE$1,IF(CF4=TRUE,$CF$1,IF(CG4=TRUE,$CG$1,IF(CH4=TRUE,$CH$1,IF(CI4=TRUE,$CI$1,IF(CJ4=TRUE,$CJ$1,IF(CK4=TRUE,$CK$1,IF(CL4=TRUE,$CL$1,IF(CM4=TRUE,$CM$1,IF(CN4=TRUE,$CN$1,IF(CO4=TRUE,$CO$1,IF(CP4=TRUE,$CP$1,IF(CQ4=TRUE,$CQ$1,IF(CR4=TRUE,$CR$1,IF(CS4=TRUE,$CS$1,IF(CT4=TRUE,$CT$1,IF(CU4=TRUE,$CU$1,IF(CV4=TRUE,$CV$1,IF(CW4=TRUE,$CW$1,IF(CX4=TRUE,$CX$1,IF(CY4=TRUE,$CY$1,IF(CZ4=TRUE,$CZ$1,IF(DA4=TRUE,$DA$1)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

So wherever there was a True, it returned the Cell at the top of the column which has the Ref ID in it. I put a pivot table and it worked, but the problem is that Excel just can't really handle the number of calculations. The file keeps crashing and becoming corrupt (There are 70K rows, times 60 or so columns). Also I have actually run out of columns I can add in the nesting, I really need more.

Can anyone suggest a way of doing the whole piece of analysis all in one Cell. So basically it says "If ADM1 appears anywhere in Column P return ADM1, If ADM2 appears anywhere in Column P return ADM2 and so on"

It's probably really easy to do, but I can't work it out

Thanks in advance

Andy

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Andy show a small amount of your data, adjust anything if sensitive as it is, then show again with the result you want. Copy and Paste will work into your thread.

Upvote 0
Andy show a small amount of your data, adjust anything if sensitive as it is, then show again with the result you want. Copy and Paste will work into your thread.

Hi Healey 21, thanks for your response. So basically I need to be able to indentify which of the Reference ID's matches in the column and return that so I can pivot on them, they fomrula would look in the "Name Column" and return the result in the "Ref ID" column. If the Ref ID didn't have other text around it, I would just do a V:Lookup:

Name Ref ID
CTG - TechnologiesCTG
ECR1 - Customised GRSECR1
ECR1 - - World ServiceECR1
CTG - Upsell - StandCTG
CTG New B SurfaceCTG
ECR2 CoUK - CAFECR2
ECR6 s dataECR6
G and International MEBig3MEBIG3
Inside2 - New - - Various McR and EPInside2
PDSC12 - New - AccessPDSC12

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col><col></colgroup>

Andy

Upvote 0
What I have done is using your list of ID is placed them in a Column and named the range Ref_ID, using that I can then search down Column A and extract any finding within the contents of the cell because there ID I have added an IFERROR rather than show #N/A. See if this helps you.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHI
1NameHealey21 FindingRef ID
2CTG - TechnologiesCTGCTG
3ECR1 - Customised GRSECR1ECR1
4ECR1 - - World ServiceECR1ECR1
5CTG - Upsell - StandCTGCTG
6CTG New B SurfaceCTGCTG
7ECR2 CoUK - CAFECR2ECR2
8ECR6 s dataECR6ECR6
9G and International MEBig3MEBIG3MEBIG3
10Inside2 - New - - Various McR and EPInside2Inside2
11PDSC12 - New - AccessPDSC12PDSC12
Sheet2

Upvote 0
What I have done is using your list of ID is placed them in a Column and named the range Ref_ID, using that I can then search down Column A and extract any finding within the contents of the cell because there ID I have added an IFERROR rather than show #N/A. See if this helps you.
Nice formula Healey21 and thank you for sharing. Just to clarify. Long text descriptions or strings for engineering descriptions in which the user can type whatever he wants, might contain typos and/or they might use a reference ID from a material to call another material, component or assembly. This formula will only return the first occurrence starting from left to right of the string. For example if you have the string: ”CTG - Upsell – Stand for a ECR1 component” The formula will still return CTG and not ECR1. It would be a good idea to create a formula that traces these cases too. Typos examples: As you very will know ECR! Might be ecr1 or ECR 1 or ECR-1 etc.
I hope it helps.
Marious

Upvote 0
Please disregard the previous post
Nice formula Healey21 and thank you for sharing. Just to clarify. Long text descriptions or strings for engineering descriptions in which the user can type whatever he wants, might contain typos and/or they might use a reference ID from a material to call another material, component or assembly. This formula will only return the first occurrence as it is listed in the Ref_ID. For example if you have the string: ”CTG - Upsell – Stand for a ECR1 component” The formula will still return CTG and not ECR1. In the other hand if you have: ”ECR1 - Upsell – Stand for a CTG component” The formula will still return CTG and not ECR1. It would be a good idea have a formula that traces these duplicate cases. Typos examples: As you very will know ECR! Might be ecr1 or ECR 1 or ECR-1 etc.
I hope it helps.
Marious

Upvote 0
I tested Healey21 formula and It works for the cases in which there is only one occurrence in the string. I have a question Why do you have duplicates in Ref_ID? I have a formula that will take care of the pattern recognition for multiple values / attributes but only works for a REF_ID with unique references. Let me know if this might work for your company

Upvote 0
Maybe this:

Layout:

Name
Ref ID
ListRefID
CTG - Technologies
CTG
CTG
ECR1 - Customised GRS
ECR1
ECR1
ECR1 - - World Service
ECR1
ECR2
CTG - Upsell - Stand
CTG
ECR6
CTG New B Surface ECR2
CTG
ECR2
MEBIG3
ECR2 CoUK - CAF
ECR2
Inside2
ECR6 s data
ECR6
PDSC12
G and Inside2 International MEBig3
MEBIG3
Inside2
Inside2 - New - - Various McR and EP
Inside2
PDSC12 - New - Access C ECR6
ECR6
PDSC12
CTG - Upsell – Stand for a ECR1 component
CTG
ECR1

<tbody>
</tbody>

Array formula (use Ctrl+Shift+Enter and not only Enter):

Code:
C2-> =IFERROR(INDEX($G$2:$G$8,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("*"&$G$2:$G$8&"*",$A2)),ROW($G$2:$G$8)-ROW($G$2)+1),COLUMNS($C2:C2))),"")

Markmzz

Upvote 0
Very close Markmzz. I like the they way that you extend the small index by Column. Thanks for sharing.<title>Excel Jeanie HTML</title>

<!-- ######### Start Created Html Code To Copy ########## -->

<html><head><title>Excel Jeanie HTML</title></head><body>

<!-- ######### Start Created Html Code To Copy ########## -->

Excel Workbook
ABCDE
1NameHealey21 FormulaLargest indexed ValueSecond LargestRef ID
2CTG - Technologies ECR1CTGCTGECR1CTG
Patterns

?

?

<!-- ######### End Created Html Code To Copy ########## -->

</body></html>

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thsix

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back