Excel Opens and Closes Immediately

duque00

Office Version
  1. 2003 or older
Platform
  1. Windows
Hey All,

I have a legal copy with a alpha/numeric key of Office XP. Yes I know it's old but it was working till a few days ago.

I have a HP Pavilion laptop with Windows 10 and was running Office XP perfectly till the other day.

Nothing in the Office works (Word or Excel) - i don't use the other programs so I didn't even check.

I run backups on my files, virus check, malware check all the time and my pc is clean.

I looked into windows 10 updates, etc. Even did a earlier restore point with no such luck.

I've uninstall and reinstalled the Office XP with no luck either.

I removed the virus programs, etc and the best I got was the Excel file opening with the following at the bottom of the file..... "Requesting Virus Scan"

I have no idea what that is all about.

Neither files or the program will work in normal and safe modes either.

Thanking you in advance for your help. If you need more info. Hit me up here.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
I don't think it's officially supported on Windows 7 or later so you are probably living on borrowed time. I think you would have better luck googling "Office XP does not work" than posting here.

Upvote 0
Did you have Norton installed? as that is what used to produce the "Requesting Virus Scan" message

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Did you have Norton installed? as that is what used to produce the "Requesting Virus Scan" message
No I do not.

Programs installed include:
Ccleaner
AVG Free
Zone Alarm
Malwarebytes
Windows Defender

All of these have been on PC for years with zero problems....

Upvote 0
I don't think it's officially supported on Windows 7 or later so you are probably living on borrowed time. I think you would have better luck googling "Office XP does not work" than posting here.
I understand the borrowed time. What irks me is that it just stopped for no reason. I would get it if I upgraded to Windows 11 or something else....

I need Excel more than anything from office. I can live without MS-Word. I NEED Excel.

Upvote 0
Have you checked Task Manager to make sure that all previous Excel processes have ended (they should have if you have closed down the computer)?

Upvote 0
Have you checked Task Manager to make sure that all previous Excel processes have ended (they should have if you have closed down the computer)?
Nothing there. I've turned it off, rebooted dozens of times. Safe mode and the like.

This is just so weird!

Upvote 0
I was with IT Support for almost 30 years, and I can tell you as fact that having that many antivirus/malware products installed is asking for trouble.
I won't get into the value or lack thereof other programs, but at this point Windows Defender is sufficient, and I strongly recommend uninstalling the other 4 programs. Also, run a full Windows Update although it sounds like that's a done deal!
I don't think that will fix it, but after uninstalling those programs and rebooting, if Office still doesn't work, go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features, find Office and do a repair.
If that doesn't work, it may be time to upgrade to MS 365. It's $100/year, but you can share it with "family" members, and the enhancements to Excel since XP will astound you! I think there's a non-subscription version, but you'll see when you get it. I'm pretty sure Office Online is free, and they're always improving it, especially Excel, but nothing fancy like Power Pivot as far as I know. I haven't looked at it for a while, and even that could be different.
Good luck.

Upvote 0
I was with IT Support for almost 30 years, and I can tell you as fact that having that many antivirus/malware products installed is asking for trouble.
I won't get into the value or lack thereof other programs, but at this point Windows Defender is sufficient, and I strongly recommend uninstalling the other 4 programs. Also, run a full Windows Update although it sounds like that's a done deal!
I don't think that will fix it, but after uninstalling those programs and rebooting, if Office still doesn't work, go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features, find Office and do a repair.
If that doesn't work, it may be time to upgrade to MS 365. It's $100/year, but you can share it with "family" members, and the enhancements to Excel since XP will astound you! I think there's a non-subscription version, but you'll see when you get it. I'm pretty sure Office Online is free, and they're always improving it, especially Excel, but nothing fancy like Power Pivot as far as I know. I haven't looked at it for a while, and even that could be different.
Good luck.
Windows is up to date.

I removed all the AntiVirus/Malware
I've done the repair

Still Notihng.

I say this and I am going to give this a try....read from the beginning.

Thoughts are always appreciated.

Thank you to all!

Upvote 0
A licensed version of Office 2010 can be puchased on eBay for less than $60. Just saying....

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiansth

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back