Excel Security

GFelts

I have a spreadsheet that has confidential information. I know how to lock the sheet and hide the confidential info that is not the problem, What I want to know is there a way to have two levels of security. Two different passwords to open more or less. Some people need to see the confidential info, some don't. One password level gives access for them that "Need to know", and the hidden cells are available. Another password level restricts access to the confidential information for them that "Do not need to know" and the cells are hidden and locked in the same workbook. Can this be done? :confused:

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
Hi,
One approach you could consider would be for your staff to have template copies of your workbook which filters their data only from your master (database) workbook – this would negate the need for multi-level passwords but would require some VBA programming.

However, do note that Excel is not a very good platform to hold very confidential information. No matter what lengths you go to protect the data, chances are that there will be someone in your organisation who is savvy enough to unlock protection or they could just mail the whole workbook to someone who does know how, to do it for them - I would think carefully about type of data being stored in an excel workbook especially if it is personal data for staff.

Others here may have alternative suggestions

Hope Helpful

Dave

Upvote 0
Thanks Dave. I understand that Excel like's a lot to be desired in the security portion. I know nothing about creating templates or VBA YET! I am learning though, like they say when the only tool you know how to use is a hammer then you become very proficient at percussion maintenance. I am relatively new to Excel and have gotten semi comfortable with formulas. Haven't dove off into VBA yet. But thanks for the INFO I do plan to look into the template concept.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jest

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back