Excel Template goes oversized importing .csv file

xendistar

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I made an Excel template, it contains just 7 column set to a set width (the largest being 50 pixel wide) I require the column to be, I then save the template as an excel template (xltx). The template is blank accept 7 column headings and the 7 columns set to the width I require, there is no other data formulas or formatting on the sheet. The csv file I am importing is only 7 columns wide but 7500+ rows longs. I select Data, get file, text\csv select the file, go through the import wizard, (I am using comma separated for the import) but when I finish the wizard it has imported all the data but all the columns widths are now double the size. I have tried the import into a blank Spreadsheet but the columns remain the default 8.45 wide.

I have to do this import every day, the csv file is new everyday, the csv file column width is consistently the same size I have made the template wide enough for each column in the .csv file. So what is the trick to importing a csv file into a template and retaining the column size tin the template? Ultimately what I would like is a single workbook with 5 tabs (representing Monday to Friday) and import into each Tab on a daily basis. Then repeat the following week and so on.....

I can not change the way I receive the data, I have no scope for adding additional programs to assist with the import and if at all possible would like to avoid macros, any suggestions?

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lunzwe73

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back