Excel workbook suddenly causing Excel to freeze up

south0085

Board Regular
Thank you for your time. I have an excel workbook that I use every month for inventory. Suddenly, this month, it reacts very slowly to my mouse clicks and is causing me to have to close it out and re-open it. It has around 50 tabs on it. Some have a good deal of data, but most do not. There's a couple of tabs that seem to be the biggest problem. I'm trying to copy one particular tab to a new workbook, and every time I try it, it just spins and spins and I have to end up closing excel and recovering my work.

Is there a way to find out why this workbook suddenly acts so strange? Most of it is just data. There are a few formulas in each tab, but not too many. And like I said, it has worked just fine in the past.

Thank you.

Only 11MB.
If it is memory, it must be either Array formulas, Complex Pivot Tables, or the multitude of Worksheets. (and maybe conditional Formatting.)
I have 18MB files that open okay. Single worksheet with almost 300,000 rows
Hit that with a two row, single value Pivot Table and file grows to 36MB. And I'm not having any real issues.

system 32-bit Win7, Ram maxxed out 3.32GB available, i5-4570@3.2GHz

About every quarter I have a project that hits 50MB+ that I can open, if I'm patient, but I cannot do anything with it on this system

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Only 11MB.
If it is memory, it must be either Array formulas, Complex Pivot Tables, or the multitude of Worksheets. (and maybe conditional Formatting.)
I have 18MB files that open okay. Single worksheet with almost 300,000 rows
Hit that with a two row, single value Pivot Table and file grows to 36MB. And I'm not having any real issues.

system 32-bit Win7, Ram maxxed out 3.32GB available, i5-4570@3.2GHz

About every quarter I have a project that hits 50MB+ that I can open, if I'm patient, but I cannot do anything with it on this system

Hmmmm...interesting. And that's kindof what I was thinking. My computer should handle this file (and in the past it has) with no problem. Maybe I've added a bunch of conditional formatting. I'll check each tab and see.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yeti1016

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back