Extract information out of a cell.

Ramballah

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Well hello everyone...
I have posted this before, but since i got no replies or help, i thought i would repost it and ask it a bit differently or something.
So i have an sheet where i want to keep track of my coinflips.. But to make life easy i want to just write down simple things and then excel has to extract the information from that cell
into my charts
in the end it has to look something like this:

NumberWinstreakAmount BETWhats bet onWin/LoseWhat the coin landed onProfitsPerson
50 tloseme1-50TailsLoseHeads$ -50Me
5 hwinshee2-5HeadsWinHeads-Shee
50 twinme3150TailsWinTails$ 50Me
50 twinme4250TailsWinTails$ 50Me
600 hwinme53600HeadsWinHeads$ 600Me
50 tloseme6-50TailsLoseHeads$ -50Me
250 twinme71250TailsWinTails$ 250Me
500 hloseme8-500HeadsLoseTails$ -500Me
500 hloseme9-500HeadsLoseTails$ -500Me
1000 hloseme10-1000HeadsLoseTails$ -1,000Me
1500 hloseme11-1500HeadsLoseTails$ -1,500Me
319 hwinme121319HeadsWinHeads$ 319Me
100 twinme132100TailsWinTails$ 100Me
100 twinme143100TailsWinTails$ 100Me
200 hwinme154200HeadsWinHeads$ 200Me
200 twinme165200TailsWinTails$ 200Me
100 hwinme176100HeadsWinHeads$ 100Me
73 twinme18773TailsWinTails$ 73Me
100 twinme198100TailsWinTails$ 100Me
100 hwinme209100HeadsWinHeads$ 100Me
100 twinme2110100TailsWinTails$ 100Me
100 tloseme22-100TailsLoseHeads$ -100Me

<tbody>
</tbody>
As you can see, on the left I put in 100 t lose me for example
meaning, i bet 100$ on tails but i lost, and i was the one doing it. (sometimes there are other people also coinflipping)
Now i need this simplified information to be put in the charts, and then with formulas i can probably figure out the rest.
And also if its not to hard to do, is it possible to have it at 1 cell where i type my simplified info, then it gets put into the charts and cleans the cell where i put in my info? so i dont have to go over 4000 lines for example.
i hope i cleared my question from my previous post.
I'm not sure how the rules work if its allowed but i will put the link of my previous post here
https://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/1098440-coinflipping-charts.html

Yours sincerely,
Ramballah

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I am going to give you Change event code (install instructions below) which means that as soon as you enter the third value of your three-part entry, the proper line of code will be added to the bottom of the table. In order for this code to work correctly, you must have the following layout on your worksheet (all of the following are text entries into the indicated cell)...

Cell A1: Roll ==>
Cell A2: Number
Cell B2: Winstreak
Cell C2: Amount BET
Cell D2: What's bet on
Cell E2: Win/Lose
Cell F2: What the coin landed on
Cell G2: Profits
Cell H2: Person

You will make your entries in cells B1 through D1 (where cell B1 would get the amount bet followed by a space followed by either an h or t, where cell C1 would get either the word win or lose and D1 would get the persons name (your name must always be the word me). Okay, with that said, here is the code...
Code:
[table="width: 500"]
[tr]
	[td]Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
  Dim Rw As Long, MaxWinRow As Long, MaxLoseRow As Long
  If Target.Address(0, 0) = "D1" And Len(Range("D1")) > 0 Then
    Rw = Cells(Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
    MaxWinRow = Evaluate(Replace("MAX(IF((E3:E#=""Win"")*(H3:H#=""Me""),ROW(E3:E#)))", "#", Rw - 1))
    MaxLoseRow = Evaluate(Replace("MAX(IF((E3:E#=""Lose"")*(H3:H#=""Me""),ROW(E3:E#)))", "#", Rw - 1))
    Cells(Rw, "A").Value = Val(Cells(Rw - 1, "A")) + 1
    Cells(Rw, "C").Resize(, 2).Value = Split([SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(LOWER(B1),"t","Tails"),"h","Heads")])
    Cells(Rw, "E").Value = [PROPER(C1)]
    Cells(Rw, "F").Value = [IF(C1="win",IF(RIGHT(B1)="h","Heads","Tails"),IF(RIGHT(B1)="h","Tails","Heads"))]
    Cells(Rw, "G").Value = IIf([D1="me"], IIf(Cells(Rw, "E").Value = "Lose", -1, 1) * Cells(Rw, "c").Value, "")
    If Cells(Rw, "G").Value = Int(Cells(Rw, "G").Value) Then
      Cells(Rw, "G").NumberFormat = "$ 0"
    Else
      Cells(Rw, "G").NumberFormat = "$ 0.00;$ -0.00"
    End If
    Cells(Rw, "H").Value = [PROPER(D1)]
    If [AND(C1 = "win",D1 = "me")] Then
      If MaxWinRow Then
        Cells(Rw, "B").Value = 1 - Cells(MaxWinRow, "B") * (MaxWinRow > MaxLoseRow)
      Else
        Cells(Rw, "B").Value = 1
      End If
    End If
    [B1:D1] = ""
    Range("B1").Select
  End If
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

HOW TO INSTALL Event Code
------------------------------------
If you are new to event code procedures, they are easy to install. To install it, right-click the name tab at the bottom of the worksheet that is to have the functionality to be provided by the event code and select "View Code" from the popup menu that appears. This will open up the code window for that worksheet. Copy/Paste the event code into that code window. That's it... the code will now operate automatically when its particular event procedure is raised by an action you take on the worksheet itself. Note... if you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.

Upvote 0
This is perfect!!!!!! Thanks so much its working so perfect!!!

Upvote 0
I am going to give you Change event code (install instructions below) which means that as soon as you enter the third value of your three-part entry, the proper line of code will be added to the bottom of the table. In order for this code to work correctly, you must have the following layout on your worksheet (all of the following are text entries into the indicated cell)...

Cell A1: Roll ==>
Cell A2: Number
Cell B2: Winstreak
Cell C2: Amount BET
Cell D2: What's bet on
Cell E2: Win/Lose
Cell F2: What the coin landed on
Cell G2: Profits
Cell H2: Person

You will make your entries in cells B1 through D1 (where cell B1 would get the amount bet followed by a space followed by either an h or t, where cell C1 would get either the word win or lose and D1 would get the persons name (your name must always be the word me). Okay, with that said, here is the code...
Code:
[TABLE="width: 500"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    MaxWinRow = Evaluate(Replace("MAX(IF((E3:E#=""Win"")*(H3:H#=""Me""),ROW(E3:E#)))", "#", Rw - 1))
    MaxLoseRow = Evaluate(Replace("MAX(IF((E3:E#=""Lose"")*(H3:H#=""Me""),ROW(E3:E#)))", "#", Rw - 1))
    Cells(Rw, "C").Resize(, 2).Value = Split([SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(LOWER(B1),"t","Tails"),"h","Heads")])
    Cells(Rw, "F").Value = [IF(C1="win",IF(RIGHT(B1)="h","Heads","Tails"),IF(RIGHT(B1)="h","Tails","Heads"))]
    Cells(Rw, "G").Value = IIf([D1="me"], IIf(Cells(Rw, "E").Value = "Lose", -1, 1) * Cells(Rw, "c").Value, "")
      Cells(Rw, "G").NumberFormat = "$ 0"
    Else
      Cells(Rw, "G").NumberFormat = "$ 0.00;$ -0.00"
    End If
      If MaxWinRow Then
      Else
        Cells(Rw, "B").Value = 1
      End If
    End If
    Range("B1").Select
  End If
End Sub[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

HOW TO INSTALL Event Code
------------------------------------
If you are new to event code procedures, they are easy to install. To install it, right-click the name tab at the bottom of the worksheet that is to have the functionality to be provided by the event code and select "View Code" from the popup menu that appears. This will open up the code window for that worksheet. Copy/Paste the event code into that code window. That's it... the code will now operate automatically when its particular event procedure is raised by an action you take on the worksheet itself. Note... if you are using XL2007 or above, make sure you save your file as an "Excel Macro-Enabled Workbook (*.xlsm) and answer the "do you want to enable macros" question as "yes" or "OK" (depending on the button label for your version of Excel) the next time you open your workbook.
Now i noticed that if i were to change the layout of the cells, the macro changes the layout again? Can i change how the layout looks in the macro? i mean like the profits in column G is coming up as UK pounds, and column C D E and H arent in bold but the others are. Also i noticed that column C where the amount BET is. The numbers are stored as TEXT and is giving errors... is there a way to solve this?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can i change how the layout looks in the macro?
A macro or, as in this case, event code, can do pretty much anything... as long as the programmer knows what is wanted.

...and column C D E and H arent in bold but the others are.
My code does nothing to bold or not bold any cell values. If you have specific column values that you want bolded, tell me what they are and I'll build it into my code.

I will revise my code again when you tell me about the bolded columns as discussed above, but here is revised code which I think addresses your other questions and makes an addition to the code which I accidentally omitted originally. So, use this code in place of what I gave you earlier and tell me if every (except for the bold question) works as it should...
Code:
[tr]
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    Cells(Rw, "C").Value = Cells(Rw, "C").Value
      Cells(Rw, "G").NumberFormat = "\$ 0"
    Else
      Cells(Rw, "G").NumberFormat = "\$ 0.00;\$ -0.00"
    End If
      If MaxWinRow Then
      Else
        Cells(Rw, "B").Value = 1
      End If
    End If
    Range("B1").Select
    Application.EnableEvents = True
  End If
End Sub[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Upvote 0
Code:
<tbody>[TR]
    Else
      Cells(Rw, "G").NumberFormat = "\$ 0.00;\$ -0.00"
    End If
      If MaxWinRow Then
      Else
        Cells(Rw, "B").Value = 1
      End If
    End If
    Range("B1").Select
  End If
End Sub[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
Hi, This has fixed the error i get on column C but now i get for example 500.00
Since there is no form of cents involved in my coinflips to me this kind of seems annoying. The profits is now indeed in $ instead of UK Pounds which is good.
As for the bolding. I want column C D E and H to be in bold, the others are in bold, but these 4 columns aren't. So if thats possible to solve then thank you very much!

Upvote 0
Hi, This has fixed the error i get on column C but now i get for example 500.00
Since there is no form of cents involved in my coinflips to me this kind of seems annoying. The profits is now indeed in $ instead of UK Pounds which is good.
As for the bolding. I want column C D E and H to be in bold, the others are in bold, but these 4 columns aren't. So if thats possible to solve then thank you very much!
Does this handle all of the issues for you...
Code:
[tr]
    Cells(Rw, "C").NumberFormat = "0"
      If MaxWinRow Then
      Else
        Cells(Rw, "B").Value = 1
      End If
    End If
    Cells(Rw, "A").Resize(, 8).Font.Bold = True
    Range("B1").Select
  End If[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]
End Sub

Upvote 0
Does this handle all of the issues for you...
Code:
<tbody>[TR]
    Cells(Rw, "C").NumberFormat = "0"
      If MaxWinRow Then
      Else
        Cells(Rw, "B").Value = 1
      End If
    End If
    Cells(Rw, "A").Resize(, 8).Font.Bold = True
    Range("B1").Select
  End If[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]
End Sub
I have tried to use this code, but the moment i type in my 100 t for example i get an error: Compile error: Expected End Sub
the last End If is marked in blue so i can retype it and this is marked in yellow:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

<tbody>
</tbody>

*Edit* It is whenever i make anychange to the worksheet, no matter which cell it is but if i change the contents i will get this error

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TT123

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back