extracting alpha numeric characters from one cell into 5 individual cells

gsdanger

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Good Day all,
I have a column of alpha numeric characters (maximum length is 5, minimum is zero or 1)
I want to extract each character into a separate cell, from the right to the left.
First image is what I have...Second image is what I want...
Hopefully someone can assist me with this.

Kind regards...gsdanger
Example.gif

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
I suggest that you update your Account details (click your user name at the top right of the forum) so helpers always know what Excel version(s) & platform(s) you are using as the best solution often varies by version. (Don’t forget to scroll down & ‘Save’)

If you have Excel 365, try this. The formula in C2 is just copied down that column and the other results will automatically 'spill' to the right.

21 02 11.xlsm
ABCDEFG
2595x6295x62
341257 1257
414 4
54325x 325x
63x53 x53
7229 29
85956x1956x1
Sep Characters
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2:A8A2=LEN(B2)
C2:G8C2=IFERROR(MID(B2,SEQUENCE(,5,A2-4),1),"")
Dynamic array formulas.

Upvote 0
Here is another formula that you can use. Place it in cell C2 and copy it across to cell G2, then copy those 5 cellls (C2:G2) down to the bottom of your data (or beyond if you plan to add more data in Column B). I think this formula should work in all versions of Excel from XL2003 and later (it may work in earlier versions too but I have no experience with them). Note that this formula does not use the lengths calculated in Column A so you remove them if you want.
Excel Formula:
=SUBSTITUTE(MID(REPT(" ",5-LEN($B2))&$B2,COLUMNS($C:C),1)," ","")

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's another formula option, just for fun:
Why "just for fun"? You posted the same formula I did (although you used Column A and I didn't) except you were smart enough to use the TRIM function instead of my klunky SUBSTITUTE function.

Upvote 0
@Rick Rothstein , Sorry Rick, no offense intended whatsoever, I was working on that exact formula half hour before my posting, with many interruptions, when I finally got back, I saw your post, which I agree, is basically the same formula, but I posted it anyway, the "just for fun" part means nothing more than "just a little different"...if that makes sense...

Upvote 0
Without helper column A, and data start from column A:
=TRIM(MID(REPT(" ",5-LEN($A2))&$A2,COLUMNS($B2:B2),1))

Upvote 0
I don't know whether column A should be regarded as a "helper column" since it was given as part of the "before" information. Of course any formula that used it could easily be changed to include the LEN() function instead.

For all versions here is another slight variation on the theme of not using column A that is shorter again.

21 02 11.xlsm
BCDEFG
295x6295x62
31257 1257
44    4
5325x 325x
6x53  x53
729   29
8956x1956x1
Sep Characters (2)
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
C2:G8C2=TRIM(LEFT(RIGHT(" "&$B2,COLUMNS(C:$G))))

Upvote 0
Good Day all,
Especially....Rick, Peter_SSs, Tom_Jones and jtakw.
Thank you for your prompt response and expert advice and direction.
I have been fiddling with the Left, Right, Mid and Len functions for some time, trying to achieve my goal.
I'm really glad I decided to ask you guys, as I would have been still trying to nut it out myself.
I would have never thought of using the formula types you guys responded with....Thank you to all...
I have used Rick's code and it has worked fabulously. Thanks Rick. I'm sure all the code supplied by you guys would've worked also, I just picked on at random.

Also, I have updated my account details to reflect that I'm using Microsoft Office 2019.
Thanks for the prompt.

Again, thanks to all you guys for assisting me with this.

Kind Regards...gsdanger.

Upvote 0
You're welcome. Glad you got something useful. Thanks for the follow-up and for updating your profile details. (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jesski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back