Extracting Integer from DateTime values

samjsteffes

Hi all,

Hopefully its just a quick solution needed here:

I have a table column that contains imported datetime values. I have formatted them as 'dd-mmm-yy', and am trying to extract counts that fall between different date ranges. However, I've noticed that the values are not truly integers, but instead carry a decimal value (i.e. 43109.44722). This is messing up the counts that I am extracting, as the date ranges I choose will be for example: 43100.0000 to 43109.0000.

After some research I've tried the following to no avail:

Code:
With tbl.ListColumns("Date Reported").DataBodyRange
    .NumberFormat = "General"
    .Value = Int(.Value)
    .NumberFormat = "dd-mmm-yy"
End With

I've stepped through the code, and the .NumberFormat commands are performing as expected, but the Int(.Value) has no effect on the values; they maintain their decimal throughout the code before converting back to 'dd-mmm-yy' format.

I've also tried the CInt function (which is not ideal, since I wan't everything rounded down), as well as a more robust WorksheetFunction.RoundDown(.Value, 5).

What am I overlooking?

Appreciate any help!

-sjs

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Try modifying your code-line:
.Value = Int(.Value)

as

.Value = WorksheetFunction.Int(.Value)

Upvote 0
Try modifying your code-line:
.Value = Int(.Value)

as

.Value = WorksheetFunction.Int(.Value)

Thanks, Jim. I've tried this, but unfortunately, the INT function is not available in the WorksheetFunction object class. Also, I had a similar issue with the WorksheetFunction.RoundDown(), where it had no effect on the values.

I've since also tried:

.value = Evaluate("=INT(" & .Address & ")") - but as this is more appropriate for array formulas, it evaluates the same result to the entire range.

.formula = "=INT(" & .Address & ")"
.value = .value

The last was an attempt to temporarily make each cell a formula, execute the integer function and then convert back to just the value.

Seems I'll have to keep looking. Appreciate the feedback, nonetheless!

-sjs

Upvote 0
Sorry, Jim. It appears as though I have misspoke. Even though the INT function does not appear to be an acceptable option of the WorksheetFunction object class (as in its not one of the options in the popup menu when you enter WorksheetFunction.) you can indeed enter the code you have suggest. All the same, it has no effect on the values, same as with the WorksheetFunction.RoundDown() method I tried.

Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anthx

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back