Failing Automatic Row Height for Merged Cells with Text Wrap

actjfc

Excel Friends,

Th procedure Automatic Row Height for Merged Cells below works for me, but partially. It changes to the Row Height but not all the times. No evident reason. Most of the times I modify the length of the text, hit Enter and nothing happens. So, after hitting Enter I go back up to the merge cells, hit F2 and Enter again and only now the Row Height is adjusted. I am using MS Excel 2016 (365). Does somebody have a clue why it does not work as intended? Can the Go back up, F2 and Enter key sequence be done with a macro? Thanks for any help!

“You can fool Excel into setting the row height properly. You do this by using a separate column that is created for the express purpose of setting row height. The process is described in the following general steps. (These steps assume you are merging the cells in columns A and B, and that your data table only includes columns A through K.)
1. Merge the cells in columns A and B as desired.
2. In column Z (or some other column outside of your data table range, but not immediately adjacent), put a simple formula reference to column A, as in =A1.
3. Ensure the text formatting of column Z is exactly the same as in the merged cell, with the exception of merging. (Column Z should not be merged with anything, nor should it be marked as merged.)
4. Make the width of column Z slightly narrower than the combined width of columns A and B.”

Source: https://excelribbon.tips.net/T010563_Automatic_Row_Height_For_Merged_Cells_with_Text_Wrap

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enero1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back