"far out request" magnifying in excel

elmar007

Board Regular
This is probably a very far out there request but here goes.......

Is there a formula which will magnify (preferably in a pop up box) a particular column heading when I am on a particular cell within that column

as 1 step further I wish to have the functionality to turn it on and off as a button

a colleague said they have seen it somewhere but cant remember where!

This tool would be particularly useful as I often need to look at spreadsheets which have to be 50% zoom. I know I can zoom but thats what I am trying to avoid!

cheers

RM

If you can't amend Jaafar's code for 64 bit, you could try the Magnifier that comes with Windows. It's under Accessories|Accessibility.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Hi Andrew

yes I have been looking at their Accessibility Magnifier it is useful but not for the purposes I need it for

I am looking at trying to embed the magnifier so it is accessed by a button like Jaafar's. The reason is that the sheet needs to be inputted by otherds who work on various systems who are not ICT literate so who wont and dont understand how to zoom(believe it or not!) but cn click a button.

I work on 2010 but they work on a mix of them.

I am quite suprised MS dont have this as an option/add-on as I am sure there must be a need for it by others....... there again the simplist things are usually the most difficult!

cheers

RM

Upvote 0
You haven't really given much to go on but it sounds like you just need a popup form with a text box or label showing the column header, rather than a magnifying glass per se.

Upvote 0
Rory

Yes that sounds perhaps a little more like it although the text would need to be magnified

A little explanation:
The excel spreadsheet is minimised to 40% to show the whole sheet

People only input in cells S8:CU58
The only thing that they can input into the cell is a Y or it is left blank (this is done through a dropdown including Y only). When Y is inputted the cell automatically changes to Green.
I have cross-hactching (turned on and off with a button) along the rows and columns so that it is clear which category in Col.A they are looking at and which Area in Rows S8:CU58 they are dealing with
Cols. B:R contain additional info to help in the decision making process.

The issue is although they know which part of the sheet they are working on, a magnifier for Cols. S:CU Headings would help make things clearer and input more accurate.

The magnifier needs to be dynamic in that as each column is selected the heading is magnified automatically (whilst you chosse whether to input in the Rows below). With a popup > each would need to be closed as you moved along the headings.

I would post an example up here but I have issues with excel jeanie!

hope this clarifies? or you cold guide me in the riht direction

cheers

RM

Upvote 0
Further to Rory's suggestion, would something like this in the relevant sheet's module be any use?
If the headings are not in row 1 you would have to modify that part of the code.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_SelectionChange(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> Intersect(ActiveCell, Columns("C:SU")) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN><br>    MsgBox Intersect(ActiveCell.EntireColumn, Rows(1))<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0
Hi peter

that works great in terms of pop up when in column and is a good start in getting me thinking along those lines

But I need it to do 3 things

a) be dynamic therefore close automatically rather than on a click (as I move through the cells) (it is intended to work column to column rather than row to row)

b) magnify the heading

c) remain open for the duration that I am in a column ie to allow me to enter data in that column whilst still remaining open THUS it only closes when I move to another column

I think I may have seen code on here to auto close popups but the rest of the quesires = ?

cheers

RM

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wcbyers

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back