Find breakeven point in a stream of cashflows, then calculate difference.

justinjames

I have a stream of cashflows going all across row 37, where each column represents a month (ie. B37 is cashflow in january, C37 february, etc.), and I want to have a function that finds what month these cashflows go from negative to positive, and then calculate the difference between those two months (the last negative month, and the first positive month). I currently have:

=INDEX($B$2:DQ$2,MATCH(TRUE,B37:DQ37>0,0))

Which is successfully returning the month of break even, but now I want it to also calculate the difference between the last negative and first positive month. To further complicate things, the "break-even point" will not always be the same, as it changes based on the input parameters. For example, if the cashflow in cell F37 is negative then then the cashflows starting with G37 are positive, I want to return the month associated with G37 (say, cell G2) and then calculate the difference between cell F37 and G37. However it will not always be F37 & G37...depending on input values on a different sheet, the point where the value goes from negative to positive might be I37 and J37.

I feel like there is a way to do this using SUMIFS in combination with INDEX and MATCH, but I just cannot pinpoint exactly how to do it.

Thanks.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwine77

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back