Find specific text

mattyman

Hello All

I need to pull a specific word from a string of text in a cell and have that word shown in an adjacant cell.
For example A1 will contain the text "Smith Sun Alliance Pension Fund"
I need B2 to show "Pension". I cannot use any filtering or text to columns as the word Pension can be anywhere within the text in A1 and I have thousands of entries. So I need a function.

Help would be as always greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Matt

SEARCH looks for an item in a target string. If it locates the item, it reports at which position the item occurs with the target string. Hence those numbers, otherwise we get #VALUE!. COUNT that we used around SEARCH yields a 1 for a number, 0 for #VALUE!. Since a non-zero number means TRUE, we get "erase", otherwise "" with:

=IF(COUNT(SEARCH($E$1&" ",A1&" ")),"erase","")

Try...

=IF(COUNT(SEARCH("-"&$E$1&" ","-"&A1&" ")),"erase","")

A1-earth1eraseearth
A2-earthquake1
A3-earthworm1
A4-pearlearth6erase
A5-goodearth5erase

<tbody>
</tbody>

i have data in A1:A5

I wanted to find out rows with the word "earth" on it. that means the result should be row1 only.

WHEN i applied -search("earth",A1) i got the digits as answers.in col B
when i applied your formula-=IF(COUNT(SEARCH($E$1&" ",A1&" ")),"erase","") i got unexpected results.in col C .kindly see it and comment please.

i compared the two formulas and found that the difference is the presence of a dash. what does this character tell excel? I am little bit confused about it. since i don't have a dash before the word "earth". but the formula worked right when it was added!
i would also like to know why does the digits appeared as a result of the first formula in col B? thanks
=======================
aldin said
1)SEARCH looks for an item in a target string. If it locates the item, it reports at which position the item occurs with the target string. Hence those numbers, otherwise we get #VALUE!. COUNT that we used around SEARCH yields a 1 for a number, 0 for #VALUE!. Since a non-zero number means TRUE, we get "erase", otherwise "" with:
2)A1-earth 1 erase earth
A2-earthquake 1
A3-earthworm 1
A4-pearlearth 6 erase
A5-goodearth 5 erase

I wanted to find out rows with the word "earth " on it. that means the result should be row1 only.

3)aldin said>SEARCH looks for an item in a target string. If it locates the item, it reports at which position the item occurs with the target string.

here target string is in A1:A5.we are searching for "earth"&""
it is available only in A1 and the position is 1 right?
My doubt is , if it is so, then why the digits in A2:A5,where there is no word we are searching for?
You said> otherwise we get #VALUE!.

even then we got digits for A2:A5.?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!

i compared the two formulas and found that the difference is the presence of a dash. what does this character tell excel? I am little bit confused about it. since i don't have a dash before the word "earth". but the formula worked right when it was added!
i would also like to know why does the digits appeared as a result of the first formula in col B? thanks
=======================
aldin said
1)SEARCH looks for an item in a target string. If it locates the item, it reports at which position the item occurs with the target string. Hence those numbers, otherwise we get #VALUE!. COUNT that we used around SEARCH yields a 1 for a number, 0 for #VALUE!. Since a non-zero number means TRUE, we get "erase", otherwise "" with:
2)A1-earth 1 erase earth
A2-earthquake 1
A3-earthworm 1
A4-pearlearth 6 erase
A5-goodearth 5 erase

I wanted to find out rows with the word "earth " on it. that means the result should be row1 only.

3)aldin said>SEARCH looks for an item in a target string. If it locates the item, it reports at which position the item occurs with the target string.

here target string is in A1:A5.we are searching for "earth"&""
it is available only in A1 and the position is 1 right?
My doubt is , if it is so, then why the digits in A2:A5,where there is no word we are searching for?
You said> otherwise we get #VALUE!.

even then we got digits for A2:A5.?

See:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/65698317/evergreen1%20find%20specific%20text.xlsx

Upvote 0
Hi Aladin, thanks for the response. but nothing new i could conclude. I never questioned your formula's effectiveness in solving my present issue. I was asking to get some additional information as why this- or that happened in that way.

You can make use of the F9 key on the formula bar to see how a formula bit evaluates.

Upvote 0
I'm still somewhat confused but it still appears to me that you want to identify the actual word earth and not a word with a dash -earth so reiterating if you want this "Earth " at the beginning of the text " earth " in the middle of the text or "earth" at the end of the text. If I wrong I apologise for this post.

As I previous said the formula below will identify all 5 letter words like event or "Earth " at the beginning of the text " earth " in the middle of the text or "earth" at the end of the text.

If the length of the word is not 5 long change the LEFT(A1,"......6.......") to whatever the length of the work is +1 e.g. if the word is social (6 long) the statement would be LEFT(A1,7).

=IF(OR(LEFT(A1,6)=$E$1&" ",COUNT(SEARCH(" "&$E$1&" ",A1)),COUNT(SEARCH(" "&$E$1,A1))),"erase","")

However if you use this formula below it automatically picks up the length of the word so modifying the formula as described above is not necessary. Your chose ?

=IF(OR(LEFT(A1,LEN(E1))=$E$1&" ",COUNT(SEARCH(" "&$E$1&" ",A1)),COUNT(SEARCH(" "&$E$1,A1))),"erase","")

Cheers

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back