Finding the nth Value That Meets a Condition

apls2350

I've taken a formula from this article Excel: Finding the nth Value That Meets a Condition.

Which I'm trying to use to find the first non-empty cell in a range:

Example from article -

=INDEX(range,SMALL(IF(ISBLANK(range),"",ROW(range)),n)-ROW(range)+1)
</pre>
My version -

{=INDEX(V36:AB36,SMALL(IF(ISBLANK(V36:AB36),"",ROW(V36:AB36)),1)-ROW(V36:AB36)+1)}

But it's not returning the first value, which is located in cell AB36.

I think I'm using the second newest version of Excel (apologies for the vague description), which isn't listed as a compatible version in the article so perhaps the formula needs to be adapted?

I am entering the formula as an array..

Thanks in advance.

Thavethe nth Value That Meets a Condition

Thanks Joe, last question - what's causing the formula to return a blank when I copy it to the row below, even though the range is updated to cover the data that I'm trying to capture?

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Thanks Joe, last question - what's causing the formula to return a blank when I copy it to the row below, even though the range is updated to cover the data that I'm trying to capture?

Does the copied formula have curly braces around it when viewed in the formula bar? Is there at least one non-blank cell in the range the formula references?

Upvote 0
tinypic.com
[/URL][/IMG]

Upvote 0
OK so I do have the following formula next to the cells with values =IF(ISBLANK(VLOOKUP(A37,'Pipeline 7-9'!$A$4:$AM$112,26,FALSE)),"",VLOOKUP(A37,'Pipeline 7-9'!$A$4:$AM$112,26,FALSE)) but they are blank - I've checked using ISBLANK, the result is TRUE. But when I delete that formula, yours does work??

Upvote 0
The other strange thing is that if I don't delete the formula that I've mentioned above but I change your formula from {=IF(J43="YES",IFERROR(INDEX(V43:AB43,1,SMALL(IF(ISBLANK(V43:AB43),"",COLUMN(V43:AB43)),1)-COLUMN(V43:AB43)+1),""),"")} to either:

=IF(J43="YES",IFERROR(INDEX(V43:AB43,1,SMALL(IF(ISBLANK(V43:AB43),"",COLUMN(V43:AB43)),3)-COLUMN(V43:AB43)+1),""),"")

or

=IF(J43="YES",IFERROR(INDEX(V43:AB43,1,SMALL(IF(ISBLANK(V43:AB43),"",COLUMN(V43:AB43))3)-COLUMN(V43:AB43)+3),""),"")

And there's a value in the 3rd column then that value is picked up. Does that help?

Upvote 0
Try not to get wedded to the first form you came across. You seem to work with the numeric data, so test the relevant cells with ISNUMBER, not with ISBLANK. Try also to anchor the formula directly to the first where you invoke. When copying across, use COLUMNS(...) and when copying down, use ROWS(...).

Upvote 0
Try not to get wedded to the first form you came across. You seem to work with the numeric data, so test the relevant cells with ISNUMBER, not with ISBLANK. Try also to anchor the formula directly to the first where you invoke. When copying across, use COLUMNS(...) and when copying down, use ROWS(...).

Thanks for the advice Aladin!

ISNUMBER is FALSE and I've tried copying the formula then changing COLUMnS to ROWS (if that's what you meant?) but the formula still isn't working.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice Aladin!

ISNUMBER is FALSE and I've tried copying the formula then changing COLUMnS to ROWS (if that's what you meant?) but the formula still isn't working.

Your image displays numbers. Are you saying that they don't succeed ISNUMBER test? If so, are these (1) produced by formulas, (2) just manual entries, or (3) copied/downloaded from some web source?

Upvote 0
Where there's a number showing ISNUMBER = TRUE. But you were saying that there needs to be a blank value in the range too and I was just confirming that there is an 'empty' cell (although it contains a formula) too.

I've tried copying the range and pasting values only but even that doesn't work. I literally have to select the empty cells which had contained the formula and clear them using delete, in order for Joe's formula to work - frustrating!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichealRed

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back