Formatting M K, and Red

jxj

Working on formatting Millions, Thousands and negative numbers. Positive numbers work great but the following does NOT generate RED format with negative values.

[>=1000000] $#,##0.0,,"M";[<1000000] $#,##0.0,"K";[Red]General

Any help would be appreciated
Using O365

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
I think your semi colons are causing the problem. The [Red] must be infront of the limiting expression. Additionally, I do not see in the documentation where you can have two different formats for the same formatting group (Pos, Neg, Zero, Text)
Here is teh Microsoft information page:

Upvote 0
I think your semi colons are causing the problem. The [Red] must be infront of the limiting expression. Additionally, I do not see in the documentation where you can have two different formats for the same formatting group (Pos, Neg, Zero, Text)
Here is teh Microsoft information page:
I can get this to work, but it then won't let me add formatting for Neg, Zero, or Text...
It did allow two numeric formats but I think it has something to do with the semi colons

[Red][<1000000]$#0.00," K";[Green][>=1000000]$#0.00,," M" So, it allows 2 formats for numbers above zero, but I think it then says you can't format negative or text after that. It does not go into detail on that in the link I provided. I'm at a loss
I can type the word General in the 3rd position, and it is 'accepted' by excel, but it still displays like the <1000000 group. Very hard to figure out.

Upvote 0
Here is another microsoft page. This page has a chart about 1/5 the way down that explains the conditional formats.
It says there can only be two of these formats.. so there are no further sections of how to format the cells. Which I guess means the neg,zero, and text portions are not available and only the two conditional rules are available. In other words, it looks like everything after the 2nd format is ignored.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gameover8

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back