Formula referencing previous sheet

chrismansell

Hi there I am after a formula to copy the contents of a cell in the previous sheet in a workbook, so that if I was to copy the last sheet in a workbook the formula would automatically reference the cell from the copied worksheet and so on if I copied tht one.

Hope this makes sense I have a lot of formulas referencing the previous sheet and everytime I copy this sheet to create a new sheet I have to change the sheet number in the formulas.

eg, in sheet 8 this formula get info from sheet 7 cel J30 ='7'!J30 when i copy the sheet to create a new one (Sheet 9) I would like the new formula to automatically be ='8'!J30.

Thanks in advance Chris

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hi there I am after a formula to copy the contents of a cell in the previous sheet in a workbook, so that if I was to copy the last sheet in a workbook the formula would automatically reference the cell from the copied worksheet and so on if I copied tht one.

Hope this makes sense I have a lot of formulas referencing the previous sheet and everytime I copy this sheet to create a new sheet I have to change the sheet number in the formulas.

eg, in sheet 8 this formula get info from sheet 7 cel J30 ='7'!J30 when i copy the sheet to create a new one (Sheet 9) I would like the new formula to automatically be ='8'!J30.

Thanks in advance Chris
UDF
Use in cell like
=Prev(J30)
Code:
Function Prev(ByRef r As Range) As Variant
    Application.Volatile
    Prev = r.Parent.Previous.Range(r.Address).Value
End Function

Upvote 0
Sheet names are
Entry Page,1,2,3,4.....etc
sheet label 2 Cell J6 will have the formula = '1'!J30
J30 is the total of the J column on 1
Regards Chris

Okay, so J6 continues a running total from the last sheet. Seiya's UDF would seem to fit the bill easily; so this is just to clarify the formula, as the sheet names just being an integer actually would simplify it.

If you were wanting a formula, I believe this would work.

From sheet "2" and thereafter, in J6:

=INDIRECT("'" & MID(CELL("filename",$A$1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",$A$1))+1,256)-1 & "'!J30",TRUE)

Please note that "$A$1" can be any cell from my (limited) understanding of the formula, but the cell picked cannot return an error.

In any case, presuming macros are enabled, Seiya's UDF sure seems like a good ticket.

Hope that helps,

Mark

Upvote 0
Hi Guys

Thanks Mark your formula worked a treat on all of the options I needed, I tried Seiya's UDF But there are 130 sheets and excel spent too much time calculating cells so much appreciated here is an example of what one of the formulas looked like with your additions
=SUMPRODUCT(($B$7:$B$29='2'!A35)*($J$7:$M$29))+INDIRECT("'" & MID(CELL("filename",$A$1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",$A$1))+1,256)-1 & "'!B35",TRUE)
There are about 100 per page so it ends up being quite large.
Again thanks for all your help its made the undoable doable.

Cheers Chris

Upvote 0
if you have a hundred cells where you need to pull data from the previous sheet, it would be worthwhile to have one cell with the current sheet name say A1

in your reference cells, say j30, then use

= XXXXindirect("'"&a1-1&"'!J30")YYYY
where XXXX YYYY represents what you want to do wtih the data

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deardevil

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back