Freeze Panes in a Shared Workbook - Can't Scroll Down

tshaffer03

A workbook is set up as shared.

Row 1 (the column headers) is frozen with Windows/Freeze Panes so you can scroll down the data and keep the column headers displayed.

On occassion, you cannot scroll down. The indicator on the scroll bar is moving but the display is not.

It appears that the rows which are frozen have changed. When I unfreeze the panes, the horizontal pane bar has moved from row 1 to row 30 (the new row number changes, it's not always the same row number). That gives the appearance that you can't scroll down.

No one who shares the workbook is admitting to unfreezing the panes, moving the pane from row 1 to row 30, and then re-freezing the panes. I doubt any of the users would even know how to do this.

This happens on different excel files and on different shared servers with completely different users. It's not just unique to one workbook.

Any other ideas to what is causing this situation on a shared workbook?

Excel Facts

Shade all formula cells
To shade all formula cells: Home, Find & Select, Formulas to select all formulas. Then apply a light fill color.
I can think of only one reason for this - The way I got to the same state is :

1. Opened an Excel file with more than a 100 rows filled.
2. Maximised Excel window.
3. Clicked on the last visible cell in the window (In my case it was cell A39)
4. Did Freeze panes - Alt+W, F
5. A bold horizontal line appeared above cell A39 indicating that everything above row 39 is frozen.
6. Changed the size of the Excel Window, so that now only 20 rows and uptil L column is visible.
7. Moved the scroll bar up and down.

What's happening is that the rows below the frozen panes are scrolling but since the window is showing only the rows that are frozen, it appears as if scrolling is not happening.

If I know Unfreeze the Pane (Alt+W,F), the excel window doesn't change. But as soon as I press up, down arrow, excel automatically takes me to the active cell, that is the cell which I've scrolled down to.

Specifically for your problem, I think the same situation would occur, if the shared notebook is being used by people with different screen resolutions. As then, it will show different number of rows to start with! I'm assuming you are facing the problem because your screen resolution is lower than the rest of the guys who are sharing the workbook!

- Abhijit.

Upvote 0
I have exactly the same problem but it isn't to do with screen resolution. It seems to occur when a user autofilters the sheet and then saves. When another user then opens the sheet the results of the previous autofilter are added to the frozen section.

EDIT: Excel 2003

Upvote 0
i also have the same problem, it happens when someone saves the shared workbook with filters on. To resolve take all filters off, place the cursor in the cell where the freeze pane should be, save, exit and reopen. This appears to work, I will try at work tomorrow and hopefully resolve this issue.

Upvote 0
At the moment I'm getting round it by adding:

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()

If Me.ActiveSheet.FilterMode Then Me.ActiveSheet.ShowAllData

ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = False
    Rows("3:3").Select
    ActiveWindow.FreezePanes = True

End Sub

To the workbook VBA.

This un-filters then un-freezes/re-freezes the panes every time someone opens the workbook. Seems to work so far.

Upvote 0
I have had the same issue.
No idea why it is happening but it does not happen all the time
Solution is to unfreeze panes and freeze panes.
Annoying!!!
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0
Same issue here: a shared excel file, the whole sheet is frozen and this is happening only with one user. If he unfreezes the panes he can scroll down, but when he is freezing first 4 rows (as we need) again the whole sheet is being frozen. The scroll bar is moving but not the rows...
How to solve this issue ?

Thank you.

Excel 2003

Upvote 0
Only real solution is to not use Shared Workbooks. They are notorious for weird behaviour, corruption and data loss.

Upvote 0
I had the same problems with several users unable to scroll due to the freeze option. I solved the problem by manually resetting some of the users views in the custom views area. Once I did that I changed what the users were able to do in the protect sheet dialogue so that this wouldn't happen again.

Depending on whether or not you want to protected the worksheet, this approach may solve some of the issues you are facing when sharing a worksheet.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexlomt

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back