Function to replicate nested If-Then-Else for unlimited cases

jxsavage

Hi,

New to this forum, so I apologize in advance if this is being placed in the wrong section.

I'm working on replicating a formula that I currently have created without VBA, but excel limits its functionality. The context of this formula is as follows

For C1
if B1 = false then C1 = 0, else
if B2 = false then check B3, B4,... until Bx = true
When Bx = true then A1-Ax

As noted in the title,I need to step through unlimited records, but with excel only allows for 7 nested if functions. Unfortunately, the data I'm working with may have a dozen records in a row where the B field shows a false statement. Below is a better visual representation of the spread sheet and the desired outcomes in column C:

A B C

1| 5 False 0
2| 7 True 5
3| 3 False 0
4| 6 False 0
5| 9 True 1
6| 8 True 3
7| 1 False 0
8| 5 True 1
9| 4 True ...

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
Welcome to the Board.

I don't entirely follow what you're trying to do, but if it's simply a case of retrieving the value from column A when column B = TRUE, you can use =INDEX(A1:A9,MATCH(TRUE,B1:B9,0))

Upvote 0
Apologies, the chart didn't format well... See this:

ABC
5FALSE0
TRUE5
33FALSE0
46FALSE0
59TRUE1
68TRUE3
71FALSE0
5TRUE1
4TRUE

<colgroup><col style="width:48pt" span="4" width="64"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
You probably don't need that many IFs. Why is your result 5 in line 2? You said it would be A1-Ax, assuming x is the row number it found True on, shouldn't that be -2 from 5-7. How do you get the other TRUE results? Please clarify.

Upvote 0
Hi,

New to this forum, so I apologize in advance if this is being placed in the wrong section.

I'm working on replicating a formula that I currently have created without VBA, but excel limits its functionality. The context of this formula is as follows

For C1
if B1 = false then C1 = 0, else
if B2 = false then check B3, B4,... until Bx = true
When Bx = true then A1-Ax

As noted in the title,I need to step through unlimited records, but with excel only allows for 7 nested if functions. Unfortunately, the data I'm working with may have a dozen records in a row where the B field shows a false statement. Below is a better visual representation of the spread sheet and the desired outcomes in column C:

A B C

1| 5 False 0
2| 7 True 5
3| 3 False 0
4| 6 False 0
5| 9 True 1
6| 8 True 3
7| 1 False 0
8| 5 True 1
9| 4 True ...
Two things are unclear to me from your description...

1) The part I highlighted in red... what does "then A1-Ax" mean?

2) The numbers I highlighted in blue (end Bx is True)... where do they come from or how are they calculated?

Upvote 0
No, I'm trying to find the difference from between A1 and the corresponding A value to the next "true" column B value. Which could be any number of rows after.

Upvote 0
Sorry, I made an math error in my example, the value should be -2 in that cell. But to phrase differently, looking at row 1, I simply want to subtract A1 from the corresonding A value for the next B value that is "True". As noted before, I can only search 7 rows with the nested if function.

Upvote 0
No, I'm trying to find the difference from between A1 and the corresponding A value to the next "true" column B value. Which could be any number of rows after.
Okay, I see that A1-Ax is meant to be a calculated subtraction, but I don't see how all the numbers I marked in blue come about from that subtraction. Can you repeat the chart, but instead of showing numbers when Bx is True, show us which two cells (addresses) you are subtracting to get those numbers.

Upvote 0
The true value is arbitrary. It's just a condition. When the next B value in the range equals a set of values considered true, then subract A1 from that corresponding A value (Ax could be A2, A5, A100)

Upvote 0
ABC
15FALSE0
27TRUEA1-A5
33FALSE0
46FALSE0
59TRUEA5-A6
68TRUEA6-A8
71FALSE0
85TRUEA8-A9
94TRUE

<colgroup><col style="width:48pt" span="4" width="64"> </colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back