fyi Excel 2007 vs 2010 cut/paste behaviour change

simonrkeen

Just thought I'd share this nugget of information.

VBA based cut/paste of a range containing a form button has slightly different behaviour in Excel 2010 vs Excel 2007.

If the source range is hidden the button will NOT be copied when using 2010 but will be copied when using 2007.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Just thought I'd share this nugget of information.

VBA based cut/paste of a range containing a form button has slightly different behaviour in Excel 2010 vs Excel 2007.

If the source range is hidden the button will NOT be copied when using 2010 but will be copied when using 2007.
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Perhaps I have misunderstood what you are describing (or set my sheet up differently) but I just tested that and it is not what I experienced - the button copied in both versions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi there is one crucial piece of info I have omitted - I am running Excel 2010 on Windows 7 and Excel 2007 on XP

Upvote 0
My test had been done with Excel 2007 and 2010 both on Windows 7.

At work today I was able to test with Excel 2007 and 2010 both on Windows XP.

In all 4 scenarios the the cut/paste of a form button that was placed in a hidden range resulted in the button appearing in the new location and disappearing from the hidden location.

I'm not saying you didn't experience what you described, I'm just saying I don't think it's a blanket rule - something must be different about our set-ups or what we have done.
If you did want to investigate further, perhaps you could describe exactly how you set-up and what code you ran.

Upvote 0
It has been quite a while, but this issue has surfaced again.... and this time I have spent more time investigating.

I can replicate the issue using these steps on W7 Excel 2010 :
1. Create a new workbook.
2. Insert two "form" buttons which cover different sets of rows.
3. Hide all the rows that one of the buttons covers, and thus hiding one button.
4. Save the workbook as an xlsm.
5. Close Excel.
6. Open Excel, open this saved workbook and unhide the hidden rows - the button will have "disappeared"! It has been resized to have zero height.

If you repeat the above but instead save the workbook as an xlsb everything works as expected!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tstapleton67

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back