Get External Data From Access—Column Empty

MichaelSchulz

Board Regular
I created a new Excel 2010 file and used the 'Get External Data' to retrieve data 'From Access' in the form of an Excel table, however when the table is populated, the contents of one column remains empty. The data for all the thirteen other columns populate just fine but for this one column there is no data.

I have an database in Access 2010. There are only two tables. One table is a linked table to another Excel file. The other table is a linked table to another database via an ODBC. (I am certain the problem is not in the ODBC.)

The database contains several queries that extract data from the two linked tables, join and combine the data, until a single output datasheet is the result.

Part of that result are two derived columns.
The values in one derived column are either a text string or is NULL.
The values in the other derived column are either numerical (double datatype) or NULL.

It is the contents of the derived column with numerical values that do not populate in the Excel file.
The derived column that contains text does populate.

I have tried changing the column name.
I have tried moving the portion of the SQL script that derives the column to a subquery.
Neither of these had any effect on the results in Excel.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

For what it's worth, when I have used the data tab in Excel to import from Access, I've generally relied on MSQuery.
Links:
MS Query - Access wiki - Access Help and How-to - Microsoft Office by UtterAccess.com
http://www.danflak.com/techtips/MS Query.pdf
Daily Dose of Excel » Blog Archive » Parameters in Excel external data queries

In this case, you can probably get by with not selecting a table but then at the end going to sql view (or, alernatively, select any table at randome because when you get to the SQL editor you'll be changing the sql anyway). Then I'd type in a query text that is along the lines of "SELECT * FROM MyQuery" where MyQuery is the query you already created in Access. You can also edit the SQL later on, I think, when looking at the data connection properties in Excel. It's *very important*, as described in the first link, to set the attributes for how Excel works with the returned data (such as overwriting existing data, appending new data, etc. etc.). If you aren't aware of these settings, you could be getting results that aren't what you wanted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Was a solution ever found for this? I'm having this exact same problem

Upvote 0
I found out what was causing the issue for me. I was using a wild card (Like * ) in my derived query

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daynle

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back