Getting the sum...the complicated way

Drahmee

Hi,

I'm looking to SUM a set of values based on the name in the cell immediately to the left of the value, HOWEVER the cell to the left will be in a random column/row on the sheet, and there will be one name/value set for each week of the year. Thus, for week one, the name might be in cell A14, but in the next week, the name would be in cell C12, then E23, then G9, and so on. The corresponding value would be in the cell to the immediate right, as stated above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Drahmee

Sorry Rick,

Small change which confuses me... I'd like the formula to find the sum of all instances of the name referenced in cell A1 within the sheet named "April", then insert that number into cell B2 on the sheet named "Yearly". What I do know is that the formula must be entered in cell B2 on the sheet named "Yearly"
I think you want this then...

=SUMIF(April!A:M,April!A1,April!C:O)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Try this...

=SUMIF(April!A:M,"Drahmee",April!C:O)

Sorry Rick,

Small change which confuses me... I'd like the formula to find the sum of all instances of the name referenced in cell A1 within the sheet named "Yearly. But find that name in a sheet named "April" within the same file. Then insert the number two cells to the right into cell B2 on the sheet named "Yearly".

The only thing I know is that the FORMULA must be entered in cell B2 on the sheet named "Yearly"

Thanks again Rick!

Upvote 0
Sorry Rick,

Small change which confuses me... I'd like the formula to find the sum of all instances of the name referenced in cell A1 within the sheet named "Yearly. But find that name in a sheet named "April" within the same file. Then insert the number two cells to the right into cell B2 on the sheet named "Yearly".
Modify this formula...

Change the red O to the column letter of your last filled column, then change the blue M to the column designation two columns to the left of that.

Upvote 0
Modify this formula...

Change the red O to the column letter of your last filled column, then change the blue M to the column designation two columns to the left of that.

Hi Rick,

I couldn't make that work. I'm including the formula I used, with an explanation:

=sumif(Dec 28,2014-Jan3,2015!A, YearlyTotal!A1, Dec 28,2014-Jan3,2015!I)

I want the formula to calculate a person's total hours, using the name referenced in YearlyTotal sheet cell A1, and looking for it in sheet Dec 28,2014-Jan3,2015. Their name on that sheet will only be in column A, and the number I want is in column I.

Thanks again so much!
Drahmee

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HellScout

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back