Has anyone tried Excel on Windows 365 yet, ideally on a Mac?

alexcr

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
So Windows 365 is finally available, allowing anyone to stream Windows and Windows apps from the cloud...

My primary computer is a MacBook Pro, but for years, I've dealt with owning a separate Windows laptop simply for purposes of Excel, as I far prefer the Windows version of Excel to the Mac one.

It seems like Windows 365 might be the solution I've long been waiting for, as it could allow me to run the Windows version of Excel on my MacBook Pro, and thus finally ditch my Windows laptop. (I realize other solutions have previously existed, such as using virtualization software like Parallels, but Windows 365 seems like a less cumbersome solution.)

I'm curious if anyone in the forum has given Windows 365 a shot yet, particularly running it on Macs for purposes of using the Windows version of Excel. What has your experience been like? How comparable has it been to running Excel on a Windows computer? How do keyboard shortcuts work? I'd love to hear about it.

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Hi

You can use the Windows version of Microsoft Office on a Mac either by doing a direct boot to Microsoft Windows using Apple's built-in bootcamp or via a virtual machine like Parallels Desktop for Mac. Using Parallels lets you run Windows and Mac OS concurrently, but there is a performance hit. If your workbooks are super computationally intense or graphically intense, use the Boot Camp option.

Upvote 0
Hi

You can use the Windows version of Microsoft Office on a Mac either by doing a direct boot to Microsoft Windows using Apple's built-in bootcamp or via a virtual machine like Parallels Desktop for Mac. Using Parallels lets you run Windows and Mac OS concurrently, but there is a performance hit. If your workbooks are super computationally intense or graphically intense, use the Boot Camp option.

Thanks, @Jim Gordon Mac MVP! I'm aware of these options, but I like the concept of Windows 365, because (i) unlike Parallels, it doesn't require me to install a virtual machine, (ii) unlike bootcamp, it allows me to run Windows and MacOS concurrently, and (iii) unlike both Parallels and MacOS, computation is largely happening in the cloud, so performance should in theory be pretty solid.

With that said, I haven't yet been able to find anyone with firsthand experience trying out this setup, perhaps in part because Windows 365 just launched a month or so ago.

Upvote 0
Windows 365 appears to be a dumb terminal arrangement where you connect to a virtual machine running Microsoft WIndows and MIcrosoft Office applications. The promotional material offers an "enterprise" option, but does not say exactly which applications are included. Does it include everything you get with say an E5 license? I don't know. The most important consideration in evaluating this is your internet bandwidth. If you have gigabit internet speeds you will find it to be very nice. If you have speeds like my current Verizon 1.48 down and 0.7 up you probably will hate it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quiet_Nectarine_

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back