help: converting wor to excel

groove6270

hi
i have this word document that i need to put it in excel sheet i put a sample for what i need from the word and how i need it to be in excel

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

and here is sample of how i need it in excel

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

i also uploaded the word document
http://www.2shared.com/file/fuHnceAa/word_to_excel.htm
the password: groove

i had this problem with other word document this thread ( http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594601 ) helped me but it didn't this time maybe it will give you some clue
thanx

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
The stuff in the Word doc needs to be located in a container that XL can use (ie in a bookmark) otherwise it will be quite difficult to transfer the info. How is your doc set up? Dave

Upvote 0
do i need to add bookmark for each entry i need or just one, cuz i did not understand?

and what do u mean by ( How is your doc set up? ) ?

Upvote 0
Is the Word doc a template (ie. are there multiple doc's)? For example, you could add a bookmark named ItemNo to the Word doc. Locate it so that it contains the Item No value. From XL, you would then open the Word doc & retrieve the ItemNo bookmark value and insert it in A1. If you do not some how identify where the info is in the Word doc you have to do a complicated find to search the doc and then tease out the relevant info. It's much easier with a bookmark (or form field). Dave

Upvote 0
Re: help: converting word to excel

if i make bookmark for each row i want in excel that would be pointless for me
it has to be through macro code, if u see this thread http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594601 i had similar problem but i was unable to alter the code to match my need.
please see if you can.
i even sent private msg to rosenbe (the one who helped me last time) but he is not active since he helped me. that was on November 2011.
now i am stuck entering it manually to excel sheet 4 days and still didn't finish quarter.

PLEASE HELP ME :confused:

Upvote 0

I see the linked approach does the complicated find. Could you please answer the questions... Is this doc from a template source, are there multiple docs, are there multiple pages of data, and does the data always have the same layout? It's not a bookmark for each row. You place the bookmark (usually in a template doc) so that it contains the info that you want transfered... this however will be pointless if there is only 1 doc and the process is not repetitive. Dave

Upvote 0

its 1 file with 312 pages, all the data have same layout except (Specifications) segment sometimes 2 lines sometimes 5, 10, 25 (it varies).

Upvote 0

I was afraid you were going to say that. The previous link converted the doc to text so that you could snip info out of the Word doc line by line. It then used some fancy string manipulation on the identified lines to tease out the specific info that you wanted. All good as long as the layout of the info is always the same. You may be able to seperate your Word doc into identifiable chunks that can be identified as a range (the range would start with Item No. and would end at the start of the next Item no.) Depending on line and paragraph structure you may then be able to identify and extract your data out of the range chunks (I'm guessing some more fancy string manipulation will also be needed). If you want, private message me a .doc file and I will take a look (the uploaded doc site wanted me to run a .exe file that I'm not interested in trialing) Dave

Upvote 0
If you can attach an actual document to a post with some representative sample data, I'll take a look at it. Without having an actual document to work with, the coding would just be guesswork.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teodora bocarski

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back