HELP! How to make code run faster. It's so slow!!

Skinnymermaid

Hi,

So here's the story: I have 24 workbooks, with 12 sheets in each workbook. I have a macro written for EACH sheet in EACH workbook. I also have code written in the first module of EACH workbook. These 24 workbooks are in a folder.

I then have another workbook called "Export" which is not in the same folder as the workbooks. I have one macro in the module section of the "Export" workbook which accesses the folder with the 24 workbooks, copies the data from EACH sheet of EACH workbook and then pastes the data into "Export".

My problem is that each time the macro in "Export" opens each workbook it opens each macro in each workbook and it really slows things down (since EACH sheet of EACH workbook contains a macro + a macro in the module of EACH workbook). That's a lot of macros to open. Is there any way it doesn't have to open all these macros so the code can run faster?

Thanks for any help!!!

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
Hi,

If the data is set up in tables - like a database - then just query the data. So, just query the 24 files x 12 worksheets without opening the data files. Such as using ADO and SQL. Searching will find some examples. Again, this will only be successful if the data is set up like database tables on the source worksheets. What do you think?

Regards, Fazza

Upvote 0
Hi,

If the data is set up in tables - like a database - then just query the data. So, just query the 24 files x 12 worksheets without opening the data files. Such as using ADO and SQL. Searching will find some examples. Again, this will only be successful if the data is set up like database tables on the source worksheets. What do you think?

Regards, Fazza

Thanks Fazza. I guess I would have to use Access for that? However, I need to set up one data sheet with all the data from the 24 files X 12 worksheets. Is that possible in Access?

Otherwise I'm thinking I'll just use the macros to populate the 24 files X 12 worksheets and then just delete the macros.

But is there any way to open the data files WITHOUT opening the macros?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Access is not required, though is equally an option: it can be done solely using Excel. One worksheet can be populated from the 24 files x 12 worksheets without opening the source data files - easiest if the data in the source files is set up in well structured tables of data. If the data isn't well set up, then a different approach would likely be best. As the source files don't need to be opened, the question about the macros disappears.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hana2911

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back