Help with Message Box Auto Dismiss code

Kemidan2014

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I want a pop up box to automatically close or dismiss after 10 seconds of inactivity. Good has lead me to this code but when i run it the message box does not go away on its own. what could i be missing?

VBA Code:
  Dim AckTime As Integer
  Dim box As Object
  Set box = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
  AckTime = 10
  Select Case box.Popup("Update Complete", AckTime, "Status", 0)
   Case 1, -1
      Sheets("Complaints").Protect Password:="Secret"
      Sheets("AACT").Protect Password:="Secret"
      Application.ScreenUpdating = True
      Application.DisplayAlerts = True
      ThisWorkbook.Save
   End Select

This bit of code is in the middle of other code. Original source i got from the interwebs used "Exit Sub" where all my reprotections and other application settings are now because if i exited on click it left my sheet wide open for all sorts of user input destruction =D

Also i tried simply replacing AckTime with number 10 as the normal syntax just requires a number and that did not work

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
The Shell.Popup method is just notoriously unreliable.

Upvote 0
I see, is there anyway possible that i can set up a simple message box that can close on its own?

its basically just letting the user know the macro they just ran is done running becuase if you run it on its own it actually doesnt look like it did anything, not from the user's perspective

The only reason its an issue right now is because i want the same macro to run when i close the workbook and with that pop up message showing up if someone was to close and walk away they would leave the file locked.

ofcourse removing the message altogether would by my last resort. Hoping for a solution

Upvote 0
Using a userform is the simplest solution. You can then code a loop in it so that it closes after a set time.

Upvote 0
Solution
Ooo, ill have to google that then, I've never played with User forms before, Thanks for your advice I'll let you know how it works out

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greggy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back