Help with Payback Period formula!

theconditioner

Hello,

I am trying to make a payback period formula, but I can't figure out a simple formula to use. Payback period is essentially the time it takes for your total cash flows to equal 0 (assuming that cash flows are evenly distributed through time).

I am trying to avoid making a "cumulative sum" row too.

Basically, what formula should I use in cell B4?

The answer should be 3.2 if I'm not mistaken.

Untitledpicture.png

Thanks!

BTW, looking at the code I posted, the conditional is if dblMySum > 0

I think that should be >= 0

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
That is very neat, Barry. It assumes an interval of 1 on the years.

And that seems reasonable to me. The VBA works on the actual year entries (row A) of the sample. So the VBA and formula return different results if the year interval that payback occurs is other than 1.

The VBA can be shortened a bit and only one range input if the year steps are only ever 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, etc

Upvote 0
Barry (or anyone else) - the formula for a cumulative row works perfectly...except when the payback period is a whole number. In that case I believe the formula brings back an error of DIV/0 (at least that is what I am getting).

Is there any way to fix that?

Upvote 0
It assumes an interval of 1 on the years.

Hello Fazza, Yes, I saw your initial comment and meant to address that in the formula......but forgot, you can amend the helper row formula like this to take account of any intervals

=LOOKUP(0,B3:F3,B1:F1-(B3:F3*(C1:G1-B1:F1))/(C3:G3-B3:F3))

The longer formula could be amended in the same way

....the formula for a cumulative row works perfectly...except when the payback period is a whole number. In that case I believe the formula brings back an error of DIV/0

I can't re-create that problem, what values are in the ranges?

Upvote 0
Hello Barry

The formula gives #Div/0 with a range of data like

-1000 250 250 250 250

Not a problem with

-1000 500 250 250 250

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello,
<Big Snip>
Payback period is essentially the time it takes for your total cash flows to equal 0 (assuming that cash flows are evenly distributed through time).

<more Snip>

You are also avoiding pesky things like the time value of money.

Gene Klein

Upvote 0
barry houdini,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Thank you (and Dave Patton for sending me to this link) for the very efficient formula for calculating Payback. Here is the data, the formula I was using and an adapted version of your formula:<o:p></o:p><o:p></o:p><o:p>
Excel Workbook
TUV
2PeriodCash Flow For NPVCumulative CF for Payback
30$ (1,115,000.00)$ (1,115,000.00)
41146,745.00(968,255.00)
52384,393.00(583,862.00)
63396,613.00(187,249.00)
13Payback3.472
14Payback3.472

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
U13=IF(SUM(U4:U11)<=-U3,T11,COUNTIF(V4:V11,"<=0")-LOOKUP(2,1/(V4:V11<=0),V4:V11)/INDEX(U4:U11,MATCH(2,INDEX(1/(V4:V11<=0),))+1))
U14=IF(SUM(U4:U11)<=-U3,T11,LOOKUP(0,V3:V11,T3:T11-V3:V11/U4:U11))
</o:p><o:p></o:p>
I like the logic of your formula because it follows the logic of how this is calculated on an individual basis (last cumulative cash flow before pay off divided by next cash flow plus the year). The logic I was using in my formula (year + lookup last negative divided by lookup position of last negative + 1) was as far as I could get.

I added the extra if to deal with the fact that it is possible (but unlikely) that payoff exceeds years.

Thanks very much!<o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0
Yes, Payback avoids the time value of money, risk and whether value is added, but it is a common back of the envelope method that is often used.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If only everyone knew how to use Excel, then the back of the envelope methods could occur much less frequently!<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0
How many pay periods left?

How many pay periods left?

We have 26 bi-weekly pay periods in a year, so how to calculate how many left?

=(12-MONTH(A3))*2+1+(DAY(A3)<16); where A3 is =today()

I use this formula, but it’s not correct,
the formula has to change its number after every period end day, which is Saturday.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I am trying to make a payback period formula, but I can't figure out a simple formula to use. Payback period is essentially the time it takes for your total cash flows to equal 0 (assuming that cash flows are evenly distributed through time).

Basically, what formula should I use in cell B4?

The answer should be 3.2 if I'm not mistaken.

Untitledpicture.png

Thanks!

Hi Conditioner

It seems you visited my site with your original question and downloaded the Payback Period Template from us.

Since then I have made available a new template that eliminates the cumulative net cash flow row.

You can type in the following formula in cell C3 and then copy paste the formula in C3 to the cells D3 through G3. Remember to place the text N/A in cell B3

=IF(AND(SUM($B$2:C2)>0,B3="N/A"),B1+(C2-SUM($B$2:C2))/C2,"N/A")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandan4057

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back