Hide unselected rows... An impossible feat?

FaithGranger

I have spent no less than 12 hours looking for a solution to my problem. Hitting a brick wall. What I want to do sounds simple enough, really, so why doesn't Excel seem to offer that feature and more importantly how do I solve the problem?

This is where you awesome experts come in (hopefully) :)

TASK: To hide rows that are not currently selected. (must be able to unhide them later)

ALTERNATIVELY (but less favorite way to go) To copy selected rows into a new sheet. No, the rows are not adjacent, they are scattered here and there.

READ THIS! - How the rows became selected is why this is a challenge. It will not allow me to right click and COPY/PASTE selected rows into a new sheet for example. Let me explain why: I used the "FIND" tool then entered a keyword (the word "FAN") and excel found every entry in my spreadsheet that has the word FAN anywhere in it. So far so good. I then hit CONTROL-A to select all the find results. This selected all the rows on my contact list that pertain to FANS of my film (as I said, these rows are scattered amongst non-fan rows) . Next I wanted to keep the FAN (selected) rows but temporarily hide all the other contacts to isolate just the fans. And hit the brick wall. :/

NOTE: If you are going to give me a macro, be aware I need basic instructions on where and how to place a macro, because me no is expert ;) and I have never used macros before (bare with me - talk to me like I am a 6 year old. Wait... Make that 4 LOL).

I am hopeful you can help me and my (very) tired eyes thank you much !! :)

With advanced filters, if you put the criteria for each column on the same row, they work as AND criteria; if you put each on a separate row (so you would require 5 rows for the criteria range, including headers) they work as an OR filter. For more flexibility I would probably suggest using formula criteria.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
With advanced filters, if you put the criteria for each column on the same row, they work as AND criteria; if you put each on a separate row (so you would require 5 rows for the criteria range, including headers) they work as an OR filter. For more flexibility I would probably suggest using formula criteria.

Bare with me, I am new at all this. I am trying to grasp above. I did not understand this part: "if you put each on a separate row (so you would require 5 rows for the criteria range, including headers)" - When I select "Advance Filters" from the DATA tab, it opens up and gives me only 2 boxes where to enter criteria (see pic), I don't see any way to add more "boxes", and are those boxes what you were referring to when you said "row"

Advance%20filters.jpg

So if I wanted to filter for any contact that has the word FAN in any of column F,G,H,J or K what would I type in each criteria box respectively (any chance you could do it on your PC then do a snapshot of the screen so I can see what it should look like and how it is done?)...

Upvote 0
The criteria range is a reference to a range where your criteria are. You basically repeat your column headers and then input your criteria below that. (I have a brief blog post on advanced filters here which may demonstrate the layout).

Here's a very simplistic example:

Excel 2010
ABCDEFGHI
1Header1Header2Header3Header4Header5Header6Header7Header8Header9
2Fan
3Fan
4Fan
5Fan
7Header1Header2Header3Header4Header5Header6Header7Header8Header9
8DummyDummyDummyDummy
9DummyDummyDummyDummy
10FanDummyDummyDummy
11DummyDummyDummyDummy
12DummyFanDummyDummy
13DummyDummyDummyDummy
14DummyDummyDummyDummy
15DummyDummyDummyDummy
16DummyDummyFanDummy
17DummyDummyDummyDummy
18FanDummyDummyDummy
19DummyDummyDummyDummy
20DummyDummyDummyFan
21DummyDummyDummyDummy
Sheet1

For this layout you would have A7:I21 as the List range and A1:I5 as the criteria range.

Upvote 0
I have spent no less than 12 hours looking for a solution to my problem. Hitting a brick wall. What I want to do sounds simple enough, really, so why doesn't Excel seem to offer that feature and more importantly how do I solve the problem?

This is where you awesome experts come in (hopefully) :)

TASK: To hide rows that are not currently selected. (must be able to unhide them later)

ALTERNATIVELY (but less favorite way to go) To copy selected rows into a new sheet. No, the rows are not adjacent, they are scattered here and there.

READ THIS! - How the rows became selected is why this is a challenge. It will not allow me to right click and COPY/PASTE selected rows into a new sheet for example. Let me explain why: I used the "FIND" tool then entered a keyword (the word "FAN") and excel found every entry in my spreadsheet that has the word FAN anywhere in it. So far so good. I then hit CONTROL-A to select all the find results. This selected all the rows on my contact list that pertain to FANS of my film (as I said, these rows are scattered amongst non-fan rows) . Next I wanted to keep the FAN (selected) rows but temporarily hide all the other contacts to isolate just the fans. And hit the brick wall. :/

NOTE: If you are going to give me a macro, be aware I need basic instructions on where and how to place a macro, because me no is expert :wink: and I have never used macros before (bare with me - talk to me like I am a 6 year old. Wait... Make that 4 LOL).

I am hopeful you can help me and my (very) tired eyes thank you much !!

Found the problem in post #1 interesting, but I have not looked through pages 1-5 very carefully, so I apologize if somebody has already come up with a similar workaround. Hope not.

Choose a helper column (now D) and put in D1:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:C1,"*fan*"),"","#") and copy down.

Now select column D, go to Home/Find, Enter # in the Find box, click on Options and in the „Look in” box select „Values”, then click „Find All”.
Press Ctrl – A to select rows which do not contain „fan”. Hide them.
Excel Workbook
ABCD
1This is a fan hereI do not like themI hate them
2Not interestedBrrrrWorst I know#
3I prefer U2Never seen or heardThe Best Fan Club
4Not my favouriteWho are theyNo comment#
Sheet

Upvote 0
Found the problem in post #1 interesting, but I have not looked through pages 1-5 very carefully, so I apologize if somebody has already come up with a similar workaround. Hope not.

Choose a helper column (now D) and put in D1:

=IF(COUNTIF(A1:C1,"*fan*"),"","#") and copy down.

Now select column D, go to Home/Find, Enter # in the Find box, click on Options and in the „Look in” box select „Values”, then click „Find All”.
Press Ctrl – A to select rows which do not contain „fan”. Hide them.

*ABCD
1This is a fan hereI do not like themI hate them*
2Not interestedBrrrrWorst I know#
3I prefer U2Never seen or heardThe Best Fan Club*
4Not my favouriteWho are theyNo comment#

<colgroup><col style="width:30px; "><col style="width:146px;"><col style="width:175px;"><col style="width:165px;"><col style="width:64px;"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel tables to the web >> Excel Jeanie HTML 4

Interesting work around but I guess what I gather so far is that there is no "easy" way to tell excel to reverse a selection?:confused: And if not, is there an easier way to find records that do not contain what you are looking for, using the FIND feature?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lachbee

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back