HOW?!? Analyse specific data based on separate criteria

angeinsydney

Hi there,
I'm pretty new to this forum but have been using it to help me find answers to excel forumlas for a while. I'm hoping someone on the forum can help.
I have a huge list of survey responses which asks people to identify their location and then rate how important 6 facilities in their area is (rating 1 - 4, 4 being most important).
So the table has cells are similar to this, except that there are about 5000 responses with about 2500 different locations identified
Shopping
Groceries
Transport
Schools
Parks
Shepherd's Bush
Earl's Court
Waterloo
Camden
Islington

Hounslow
Wimbledon

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have been able to analyse the average results for the whole dataset by using the following formulas:
=COUNTIF(A2:C4,"camden") Count number of occurrences a location is listed
=ROUND(AVERAGE(D2:D4),2) Average response for medical centres
=COUNTIF(D2:D4,1) Counts number of times '1' comes up, would repeat '2', '3', and '4' to create a pie graph

But what I would really like to do it be able to count each response for each question by location (for example "Camden"). I’ve tried both of these but they don’t seem to be working.
=IF(A2:C4,"camden"),COUNTIF(D2:D4),1
=COUNTIF(D2:D4),1,IF(A2:C4,"camden")

<tbody>
</tbody>

Can anyone help?

Excel Facts

When they said...
When they said you are going to "Excel at life", they meant you "will be doing Excel your whole life".
Have you tried using Filter functionality? In the "Data" menu in Excel there is an option named "Filter". By enabling it, you can sort each column by value and/or hide from view any values ("locations" in your case) you're uninterested in. Each column header will appear with a button - just click it to see the options available to you. Does that work?

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for your reply. I thought of that however I am concerned that I will miss data which is in another column, for example a2 might equal Waterloo as may c45, if I only sort them I will only really be able to capture responses which are in the first column.

Upvote 0
Ideally I would want it to be able to tell me how many '1' responses under 'Medical Centres' there are for rows which contain 'Camden', how many '2' responses under 'Medical Centres' there are for rows which contain 'Camden', etc. I would then want to be able to do the same for any other location. Does that make sense/do you need any more info?

Upvote 0
Welcome to the MrExcel board!

Assuming the particular location cannot occur more than once on a row (or if it does you want it counted multiple times), see if this helps.

Excel Workbook
ABCDEFGHI
1LocationLocationLocationMedical CentresShoppingGroceriesTransportSchoolsParks
2Shepherd's BushEarl's CourtWaterloo444424
3CamdenIslington234433
4Earl's CourtWaterlooCamden211111
5HounslowWimbledon333323
8LocationCamden
9TypeMedical Centres
10Value2
11Count2
Sheet1

Upvote 0
Thanks Peter!

I found another solution: =COUNTIFS(A2:A4,"Camden",D2:D4,1)+COUNTIFS(B2:B4,"Camden",D2:D4,1)+COUNTIFS(C2:C4,"Camden",D2:D4,1)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gitad

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back