How do I convert the date format into a different style?

CrystalHR

Hi -

I have a date listed as 1/21/09 and I need it to read as Jan-21-09 for a calculation purpose. I have already highlighted the group of dates and right clicked the mouse to select format and selected date - and then chosen the option of Jan-21-09. However, nothing is changing - it doesnt not seem to be recognizing the request.

There are about 700 dates that need to be converted- and without doing it manually - im wondering if anyone is aware of some sort of restriction that may be on the sheet that I can remove - In order to allow me to change the dates into this format?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks
Crystal

dbrown

I don't think that's the problem.

I'm in Europe - I can format a date on a worksheet anyway I like, it's the value that's in the cell that's important not the format.:)

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
Norie,

I am not profering he change the format. Using text to column physically changes 21/12/2009 to 12/21/2009 just as if you typed it in manually. It is not a format change but a physical change. This is a really common problem mostly caused by IT departments who use inaccurate regional settings when installing a computers operating sytem.

Try it out yourself (assuming your default date style is DMY): type out these dates:
12/21/2009
04/13/2010
11/04/2009

These three dates are typed as MDY (not format) your computer will show the first two as a text and the last one will be shown as a date (albeit a wrong date since your computer will recognise it as 11 April 2009 instead of 4 November 2009). How do you solve this problemfor over 700 cells with MDY dates.

The manual solution is to retype the dates like this:
21/12/2009
13/04/2010
04/11/2009
Or simple use the steps for text to column as highligted.

Again this technique is NOT a formatting technique, it depends on how your computers operating sytem recognises dates. It is important to know what you computer is set up as a trick is to hit Ctrl+; (control key + semicolon) and enter, this will give you todays date in your computers default Date style.

To check/change you Computers Date Settings go to:
Control Panel>Regional and Language Options
If you see English (United Kingdom) like in my case then 12/21/2009 will not be recognised as a date but as a text and must be typed in as 21/12/2009.
If the regional settings is English (United States) then all your dates must start with Months.

cheers

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rittersportyummy

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back