How Do I Do A Custom Sort

Dazzawm

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I want to sort a file by a particular column first. I need it to be sorted with a particular word first but that word may be anywhere within the cell.

Obviously the normal sort would do it by the first letter of the first word in the cell either A-Z or Z-A. But I need it to look for a particular word in the cell and have that first. Is it possible?

Re: VBA To Do A Custom Sort

Just to reiterate the word 'Leads' will be amongst other words in the cells and could be at the beginning, middle or end.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.

Try it. Type =--(ISNUMBER(FIND("leads",A1)) into A2.
Type test data into A1. If it contains the word leads, A2 will display 1. Otherwise, A2 will display 0.

Upvote 0

I think it needs another ) at the end and it still doesn't work. I'm using Excel 2010, does that make a difference?

Upvote 0

FIND is case sensitive..
So if it contains 'Leads', then it will not find 'leads'

Try changing FIND to SEARCH for it to be NON Case Sensitive.

Upvote 0

FIND is case sensitive..

Thanks Jonmo that works. Is there a VBA code that will do it so I can put it in my Macro PWB and use it for various files and change it to suit?

Upvote 0
FIND is case sensitive..

Ahh... silly, silly me! I'm typing this on my phone and I am a bit rusty in the subtle differences between formulas...

If you do want to create a helper column, it should work now. Sorry for the trouble.

Upvote 0
Thanks all, but I could really do with a macro if someone could oblige. Thanks

Upvote 0
I am using this formula to do a sort so when leads is found it puts a 1 so I then sort Z-A. How can I include another condition so that it would put a 2 for another word?

=--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("leads",AD2)))

The word would be coil so it would look for leads and put a 1 then look for coil and put a 2 then I could do my sort.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Thanks all, but I could really do with a macro if someone could oblige. Thanks
Try this in a copy of your workbook.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> mySort()<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> nc <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN>, lr <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>  <br>  Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>  lr = Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=Cells(1, 1), LookIn:=xlValues, _<br>    SearchOrder:=xlByRows, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchFormat:=False).Row<br>  nc = Cells.Find(What:="*", After:=Cells(1, 1), LookIn:=xlValues, _<br>    SearchOrder:=xlByColumns, SearchDirection:=xlPrevious, SearchFormat:=False).Column + 1<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Cells(1, nc).Resize(lr)<br>    .Formula = "=IF(COUNTIF(AD1,""*Leads*""),ROW(),"""")"<br>    .Value = .Value<br>    Range("A1").Resize(lr, nc).Sort Key1:=Cells(2, 3), Order1:=xlAscending, _<br>      Key2:=Cells(2, nc), Order2:=xlAscending, Header:=xlYes, OrderCustom:=1, _<br>      Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, DataOption1:=xlSortNormal, DataOption2:=xlSortNormal<br>    .ClearContents<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>  Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0
Thanks Peter, how does this work? What about my post 18 where I need the word coil incorporated into it?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcschafer209

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back