How do I refer to a worksheet in excel vba when it's name is a number

oaishm

Board Regular
I have a worksheet with 1208 is the name on its tab. I can do =1208!a1 on any other cell in the workbook except 1208!a1 and get an value. However, worksheets("1208").range("a1").select refuses to select that cell

I thought maybe I'm messing some other portion of the code up so I tried

worksheets("bookings").range("a1").select. This worked.

For extra credit, this is what I'm really trying to get to work.

Worksheets(sourcesheet).Range("k1", Range("k65536").End(xlUp)).AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, CopyToRange:=starter, Unique:=True

where sourcesheet is a string equal to "1208" which I'm sure is text!

Thanks

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Hi

Welcome to MrExcel Forums

This seems to work

Code:
Sub selnew()
Dim sourcesheet As String
sourcesheet = "1208"
Worksheets(sourcesheet).Range("a1").Select
End Sub

Upvote 0
I can do =1208!a1 on any other cell in the workbook except 1208!a1 and get an value. However, worksheets("1208").range("a1").select refuses to select that cell

Welcome to the board...

In order to select a cell on a specific sheet, that sheet must be selected first, then select the cell.

worksheets("1208").range("a1").select

Will not work, if any sheet other than 1208 is currently active.

so instead, break it into 2 lines

Worksheets("1208").Select
Range("a1").select

BTW, it's not necessary to select sheets/ranges to work with them.

Upvote 0
Or why not use the sheet name? (Sheet1 or 2 or 3 etc)
You can see those in the VBA editor.

Code:
Worksheets(Sheet1).Range("k1", Range("k65536").End(xlUp)).AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, CopyToRange:=starter, Unique:=True

Upvote 0
For extra credit, this is what I'm really trying to get to work.

Worksheets(sourcesheet).Range("k1", Range("k65536").End(xlUp)).AdvancedFilter Action:=xlFilterCopy, CopyToRange:=starter, Unique:=True

where sourcesheet is a string equal to "1208" which I'm sure is text!
It sounds like you are running this code when some sheet other than '1208' is the active sheet. Because you have not specifically stated what sheet the red range above applies to, it will work this out from the Active Sheet, Not sheet '1208'.

Assuming you have defined the range 'starter' to be in the appropriate sheet/place, this should work better for you. Note the . before each range reference. This will ensure they both refer to Sheets(sourcesheet).
Rich (BB code):
With Worksheets(sourcesheet)
    .Range("k1", .Range("k65536").End(xlUp)).AdvancedFilter _
        Action:=xlFilterCopy, CopyToRange:=starter, Unique:=True
End With

Just one other pointer... Excel now (Excel 2007) has more than 65,536 rows so I think it is a good idea to use this more general code to find the bottom cell. Instead of
Rich (BB code):
Range("k65536").End(xlUp)
use
Rich (BB code):
Range("K" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)

Upvote 0
Well, I thought everything was solved but it wasn't.

Here's me little code.

Sub healthcare()
'This procedure writes a unique list of account numbers from the employees into a new sheet. Then it's going to make a booking
Dim starter As Range 'cell of sheet we're going to write all the account numbers to
Dim sourcesheet As String 'sheet that contains the data we're going to make a booking for
sourcesheet = Worksheets("booking").Range("f6").Text
Set starter = Worksheets("booking").Range("d8")
starter.CurrentRegion.Delete
Set starter = Worksheets("booking").Range("d8")
Worksheets(sourcesheet).Select
With Worksheets(sourcesheet)
.Range("k1", .Range("k" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).AdvancedFilter _
Action:=xlFilterCopy, CopyToRange:=starter, Unique:=True
End With

End Sub

I hoped afterwards it would make a list of unque items. Instead, it makes a name called extract that is equal to bookings!$d$8

I guess I don't understand the advanced filter function

Upvote 0
I hoped afterwards it would make a list of unque items.
It did for me.

Instead, it makes a name called extract that is equal to bookings!$d$8
1. Can you explain in more detail what you mean by this?

2. What is in F6 on the "bookings" sheet?

3. Whatever, the anwer to question 2 is, can you confirm that
- a sheet with that name exists, and
- that there is a list of items in column K of that sheet, and
- there is a heading in cell K1 of that sheet?

Upvote 0
There has to be a heading on column k? No excel book would list that requirement. Well, instead I had to write a silly little procedure to pull out unique items

Upvote 0
There has to be a heading on column k?
Yes, Filtering works on a 'list' and Help defines a 'List' as
list: A series of worksheet rows that contain related data, such as an invoice database or a set of client names and phone numbers. The first row of the list has labels for the columns.

I'm not sure what your 'silly little procedure' was, but if column K does not have a heading in row 1, the code could put one there temporarily so that the Advanced Filter could still be used. Something like this might work for you.

<font face=Courier New><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> healthcare()<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> starter <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> sourcesheet <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>    <br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">False</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Worksheets("booking")<br>        sourcesheet = .Range("F6").Text<br>        .Range("D8").CurrentRegion.Delete<br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> starter = .Range("D8")<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN> Worksheets(sourcesheet)<br>        .Rows(1).Insert<br>        .Range("K1").Value = "temp"<br>        .Range("K1", .Range("K" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp)).AdvancedFilter _<br>            Action:=xlFilterCopy, CopyToRange:=starter, Unique:=<SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br>        .Rows(1).Delete<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">With</SPAN><br>    starter.Delete Shift:=xlUp<br>    Application.ScreenUpdating = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">True</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qh017

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back