How important are Excel forum's?

On a scale of 1-5 (5 being highest) - how important are Excel forums to the serious learner?

Votes: 45 78.9%

Votes: 11 19.3%

Votes: 1 1.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Do you get feedback on how they are going after they attend your courses? Do many of them use your course as a springboard?
Good question. Yes I keep in touch with many. I think my course is very effective (of course I would); because it has a good balance of power tips but also covers so many concepts required to advance ones knowledge properly. The biggest improvement I see is the use of query tables to avoid having cumbersome copy&paste processes. QT's I notice are often ordered, as I prescribed, in many instances enabling binary lookups. But this is one part I drill in very hard and it's nice to see implemented.

A few students are showing real progress. They use the forums and they bug me regularly! The best I can do is encourage the serious learner to start using the forums!

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
It is all about making people aware of what they don't know. It is so easy to spend 40 hours a week "using Excel" by doing things the hard way, when a VLOOKUP or a Pivot Table would solve the problem in minutes instead of hours.

Nothing makes you aware of how much you don't know about Excel than reading a few dozen threads here. For the last year, I've been promoting daily 5 hot topics from this board on the top of the right column at the MrExcel home page... hoping I can interest people in watching how the community here solves difficult problems. (If anyone wants to re-use this box on their blog or website, the instructions are here).

In my live Excel seminars, I have either 3.5 or 7 hours to make people aware of the powerful tools available in Excel. I am hoping the people in the seminar will find the one item that is currently causing them the most pain in Excel can be dramatically simplified. I am hoping to save them an hour a week and get them hooked on learning more. In the seminar and in my books, I always promote this forum as an amazing resource.

Bill

Nice idea Bill. The code seems to mess with my theme and so my pages look awful (Wordpress Tempera - quite a common theme). I'll see if I can find some sort of fix.

I'd be way behind the curve without the forums so I'd rate them as very important.

A word of caution to learners though: they can be a wonderful source of information but they can also be a source of misinformation.

It is all about making people aware of what they don't know.

Training can tend to get overwhelming for most people and I let them know that I don't expect them to retain anything right up front because of overload. But if in a few days, weeks, months they find themselves in a position to utilize something that they "heard", then at least they know it exists and (maybe) where to look.

In our training I always point people to the board, as well as encourage them to contact me anytime in the future.

I remember one time a while back when Bill posted a question (rare enough that he posts), and got a response in a few minutes. The question was nonsense, but he was hosting a seminar and wanted to show the crowd how fast people here will respond.

If it wasn't for the board regulars and moderators on this site, I would not have been able to complete several of the tasks that I needed to do. I looked in books for answers as well as online instructions however, this site is BY FAR THE BEST PLACE to get the answers needed to remedy excel problems.

Perhaps 99% of my activity here is solving problems rather than searching for help. Still, I have learned a lot by observing solutions posted by others.

Next, I do research in computer science, and observing questions is very interesting for me, because it indicates what people are trying to do in Excel. Recently, I started adding references to posts in this forum to my research papers. They serve as use cases and justify my research direction: "I encode algorithm doing X in Excel, because there are posts in MrExcel forum, where people request help in doing X in Excel".

J.Ty.

Perhaps 99% of my activity here is solving problems rather than searching for help. Still, I have learned a lot by observing solutions posted by others.

Next, I do research in computer science, and observing questions is very interesting for me, because it indicates what people are trying to do in Excel. Recently, I started adding references to posts in this forum to my research papers. They serve as use cases and justify my research direction: "I encode algorithm doing X in Excel, because there are posts in MrExcel forum, where people request help in doing X in Excel".

J.Ty.

If it's in English (I presume it is), I'd be interested to receive copies of the papers you might have.

Regards,
Aladin

If it's in English (I presume it is), I'd be interested to receive copies of the papers you might have.

Regards,
Aladin

Here you are:

1.The one where I referred to MrExcel threads is here: http://arxiv.org/abs/1305.2103;
Its predecessor was Spreadsheet as a relational database engine

2. An older one, with no references to MrExcel is [1211.6781] User Defined Spreadsheet Functions in Excel

3. And this one is still in preparation: [1307.7261] The Power of Spreadsheet Computations

J.Ty.

This is very important for those wishing to extend ones capability's in excel!

Not to often when I post question do I wait for a reply.

Great thread by the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ipruravindra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back