How to calculate number of rows containing any colored cells?

Hol_dav

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am wondering if there is a VBA/macro that I can run to count the number of rows in my table that contain any colored cells?

My research seems to only turn up code for counting colored cells, but I need to count the entire row as 1, regardless of how many or what color cells are contained.

Please help me!

@Hol_dav , do you still need the conditional formatting applied? If so, those rules need to be defined.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
My only other question is how you manage this workbook. Will you bring new data into the workbook each month? Is it consistently formatted (column positions, etc..)? If you're having a new workbook each month, then you'll probably need to create a blank template with the formulas and conditional formatting.. and be sure to import it the same way each time. Power Pivot and Power Query may help in some instances (I am not an expert on those and cannot begin to tell you how to start that.) But those are long term questions.
  • Yes, so that's why I thought I needed a VBA code, because I will need the same formulas run every week - I am not familiar with Power Pivot or Power Query :/ How do I import my report into a blank template with the formulas already set up? I suppose I can google this...
  • The columns will be the same every week and I will need to conditionally format the same info (or lack thereof)
Are there any data checks needed for these columns other than being populated as per earlier requirements? Are Columns S & U Populated after your initial data load and review (Manually)?
  • Only other check is if there are multiple names in column A AND column B does not start with REF, THEN highlight those cells in column A orange.
  • No we do not edit or add data to the report. It is just to give us a visual of compliance issues
Req 1 (The audit check here is first accept anything with one or two names, but reject records with two names with out "REF" in the REF ID. I don't see any records with 2 names in Col A Are names always one name and not a First Last? How are they separated in the column, If there is a second name where is it stored (Same Column or different column If so which one?)
  • Oh ok, I took out last names in the swappit! The names are formatted: Megan Saunders
  • And for multiple names there is a comma in-between the people's names but no spaces: Megan Saunders,Sebastien Reynolds
  • I just took a sample of the table I have and didn't realize there weren't any multiple names in it - ugh sorry about that, I hate to be a pain!
Req 5Col IJob StatusIn Validation List and not be Related to Col J ("Status")
Req 6Col JStatusIn Validation List and not be Related to Col I ("Job Status")
  • You lost me on the "not related to" - Only one of these columns needs to be audited. But preferably adjoining cells (col I & J) are highlighted.
Req 7 (See Req 7, this column may not be necessary unless you want to see it for ease purposes.)Col LPublishedNOT: IF Job Ref ID contains "REF" and Job Status is "Filled" Or Cancelled"
  • I guess, not necessary for this spreadsheet!

Upvote 0
What conditional formatting? In post#4 the OP said
Right now they are manually applied because I though the only way to format them would be using VBA and I don't know how to do that lol I run this report every week, so preferably there is an automated way to format! Just not sure how I go about importing a report into a spreadsheet template with formulas already. Didn't even know that was possible!

Upvote 0
VBA Code:
Sub dont()
        Dim rng As Range
        Dim store As Long
        Dim ColoredRows As Long
        Set rng = ActiveSheet.UsedRange       ' change to your range
        Dim k, i As Long

For k = 1 To rng.Rows.Count
                For i = 1 To rng.Columns.Count
                        If rng.Cells(k, i).Interior.Color <> CLng("16777215") Then
                                store = store + 1
                        End If
                Next i
               If store > 0 Then ColoredRows = ColoredRows + 1
                store = 0
        Next k

MsgBox ColoredRows

End Sub
Hey! Thanks - what/where exactly do I change my range? Please forgive me!!

Upvote 0
Right now they are manually applied because I though the only way to format them would be using VBA and I don't know how to do that lol I run this report every week, so preferably there is an automated way to format! Just not sure how I go about importing a report into a spreadsheet template with formulas already. Didn't even know that was possible!
ok. i'll see what i can do to get it those conditional formatting rules to work

Upvote 0
like this

VBA Code:
range("A1:D11")
So like this:

VBA Code:
Sub dont()
        Dim rng As Range
        Dim store As Long
        Dim ColoredRows As Long
        Set rng = ActiveSheet.UsedRange       ' range("A2:U586")
        Dim k, i As Long

For k = 1 To rng.Rows.Count
                For i = 1 To rng.Columns.Count
                        If rng.Cells(k, i).Interior.Color <> CLng("16777215") Then
                                store = store + 1
                        End If
                Next i
               If store > 0 Then ColoredRows = ColoredRows + 1
                store = 0
        Next k

MsgBox ColoredRows

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thank you so much, Rick - unfortunately, I'm getting an error: "Compile error: Invalid outside procedure" - how can I fix this?
I cannot see how that error is being generated from the code I posted. I tested my code on XL2019 (I don't have access to a version of XL365 to test VBA code on) before I posted it and it worked fine for me... I just retested the code and it still works fine for me. Did you copy my code exactly as I posted it? I almost sounds like you omitted the Sub statement from my code as that would produce the error you are describing whenever you attempted to run a different macro.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gkiller

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back