How to connect 1 Slicer to 2 different PivotTables - Excel 2010

L

Legacy 227120

I am working with PivotTables and Slicers. However if I can first explain the scenario:

• I am collating data from a table that is updated every month. I transfer the table into Excel 2010. The column titles on the monthly tables are always the same, it is the data that changes.
  • For example, I have the xls spreadsheets from August 2012 and September 2012. From these 2 tables I create a PivotTable for both months, structuring them exactly the same.
  • I then Place both PivotTables side by side on the same page.
  • I then inserted a Slicer for table A.
I would like to know if I can get the Slicer to control BOTH PivotTables at the same time, bearing in mind that both PT's are drawing their data from different sources.
Please help!:confused:

Hi Guys,

I was also looking for something very similar thing. Here I have made two pivot tables from different data-sets, but they have some common columns, which are basically business divisions etc.

I want the same slicer (Business Divisions in this case) to display set of information extracted from those two different data-sets. People have mentioned about recording a macro or using PowerPivot. Can someone please guide me further, which one would be better and how to execute that particular method.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Excel Joke
Why can't spreadsheets drive cars? They crash too often!
I was able to solve my problem by hit and trial... if anybody want help on how to do the same, just send across a message of reply on this thread :)

Upvote 0
I know it's a little bit late in this thread... BUT... start by creating the first pivot table with all of the slicers you want. Then create the second pivot table (OMIT the slicers for now). Once you're happy with the second table, <right-click> on a particular slicer than you want to associate with a second pivot table. Choose "PivotTable Connections" from the menu. In the pop-up window that appears, choose any and all applicable tables that you want this slicer associated with.

this solves your original request without any macros.

Upvote 0
That only works if the two pivot tables use the same data source, which is not the case here.

Upvote 0
Guys,
Same problem. Using excel '13. Want to connect a slicer to pivots with different source data. Tried to do it with a macro, but dynamic changes with that seems difficult...any 1 who has done???
No idea if there's anything in power pivot...any other option is welcome. Please it's urgent!
thanks

Upvote 0
@jafa1970, Nice of you to share that article.

As Rory pointed out, a slicer can only be shared by PivotTables that share the same Data Source. The term "Data Source" in that context means the PivotCache.

AFAIK, that's still true for PivotTables made using Excel 2013's data modeling capabilities as it was for Excel 2010 with or without the PowerPivot Add-in.

Using those applications, one can join different datasets from multiple sources to create a single PivotCache that feeds multiple PivotTables that can be linked by slicers. The key point of clarification is that those Pivots must still share the same Data Source (the PivotCache).

Upvote 0
tscrishinag said:
I was able to solve my problem by hit and trial... if anybody want help on how to do the same, just send across a message of reply on this thread :)

Hey tscrishinag, why don't you just write your solution here? I'm sure it would help many people!

Upvote 0
I've been looking for a solution to this, has anyone actually succeeded on doing this? can you share your macro code?

Thanx in advance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sameri

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back