How to Display All Combinations for Several Columns

gordonhtfu

I have this problem that I am trying to resolve with Excel but I couldn't think of a solution. Does anyone know of a solution?

Here is a simplified problem:
Assume that you have two columns ...
(Column1) (Column2)
Dogs Cats
Tom Marie
Peter Lucy
John

How do you make it so that it would display in this format?
Dogs Tom
Dogs Peter
Dogs John
Cats Marie
Cats Lucy

By the way, the actual problem that I have could have up to 100 columns so a solution that can be easily expanded would be really good.

You mean I misinterpreted your original question?!

Or that was correct but now you also want to do the converse? If so, could you provide a slightly clearer example than the one you've given, preferably with more than just a handful of entries?

Regards

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
For 2003, perhaps change the formula (still array) in F1 to:

=IF(ROWS($1:1)>COUNTA(Range1)-COLUMNS(Range1),"",INDEX(Range1,1,MATCH(TRUE,MMULT((--(TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(Range1))>=COLUMN(Range1))),SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(INDEX(Range1,,1),1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COLUMNS(Range1)))-1,,)))>=ROWS($1:1),0)))

And that in G1 to:

=IF(F1="","",INDEX(INDEX(Range1,,MATCH(F1,INDEX(Range1,1,),0)),1+COUNTIF($F$1:$F1,F1),1))

Regards

You mean I misinterpreted your original question?!

Or that was correct but now you also want to do the converse? If so, could you provide a slightly clearer example than the one you've given, preferably with more than just a handful of entries?

Regards

You interpreted the original question correctly and now I am looking for the converse.

Given:
DogsTomPeterJohn
CatsMarieLucy

<tbody>
</tbody>
Looking to generate:
DogsTom
DogsPeter
DogsJohn
CatsMarie
CatsLucy

<!--StartFragment--> <colgroup><col width="65" span="2" style="width:65pt"> </colgroup><tbody>
<!--EndFragment--></tbody>

Upvote 0
For that way, the formula (still array) in F1 should be:

=IF(ROWS($1:1)>COUNTA(Range1)-ROWS(Range1),"",INDEX(Range1,MATCH(TRUE,MMULT((--(ROW(Range1)>=TRANSPOSE(ROW(Range1)))),SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(INDEX(Range1,1,),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS(Range1)))-1,1,,)))>=ROWS($1:1),0),1))

And that in G1:

=IF(F1="","",INDEX(INDEX(Range1,MATCH(F1,INDEX(Range1,,1),0),),1,1+COUNTIF($F$1:$F1,F1)))

again, where Range1 is that range which comprises the smallest rectangle which encloses your data set.

Regards

Upvote 0
Thanks XOR LX.

I have another variation of the original where I think the formula need to be adjusted... I spent like a few hours trial and errors and couldn't find the solution.

Here is the actual problem I am trying to resolve with formula with Excel 2003 (I think 2003 had the nesting limit limitation):

Criteria:
There are 13 columns. The values of the first 2 columns do not matter. The value of the 3rd column is the heading. The value of 4th to 13th column are colors (They may be blank too).
There are indefinite number of rows (In the sample problem below, I only showed 6 rows but the solution should work for any number of rows).

Here is the sample problem:
Heading1Heading2Heading3Color1Color2Color3Color4Color5Color6Color7Color8Color9Color10
1asdfHeadsBlueGreenYellowRedBlue
2asdfTailRedGreenGreenBlueRedYellow
3asdfShoulderYellowBlack
4asdfLegBlueGreenYellowRedGreenYellowRedGreen
5sdfFootGold
6dfHandsBlueYellow

<tbody>
</tbody>

What to do?
Make a new table so that it will display in two columns (Heading + Color) with as many rows as appropriate ... all duplicates should be removed.
This is to be used for Excel 2003.

Here is the sample solution to the sample scenario above:
HeadsBlue
HeadsGreen
HeadsYellow
HeadsRed
TailRed
TailGreen
TailBlue
TailYellow
ShoulderYellow
ShoulderBlack
LegBlue
LegGreen
LegYellow
LegRed
FootGold
HandsYellow

<tbody>
</tbody>

Reference:
http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-q...-new-post.html
How to Display All Combinations for Several Columns

Upvote 0
Hi,

The matter of returning unique items only complicates matters slightly.

Define Range1 this time as that range which comprises the smallest rectangle which encloses all the data underneath (but not including) Heading3 and across to your final Color (Color10 in your example).

In the cell immediately to the right of the top-rightmost cell in Range1, enter this array formula** and copy down as required:

=SUM(IF(INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),ROWS($1:1),)<>"",1/COUNTIF(INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),ROWS($1:1),),INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),ROWS($1:1),))))

Then, in e.g. Q1 (again, array-entered):

=IF(ROWS($1:1)>SUM(OFFSET(Range1,,COLUMNS(Range1),,1)),"",INDEX(Range1,MATCH(TRUE,MMULT((--(ROW(Range1)>=TRANSPOSE(ROW(Range1)))),SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET(INDEX(Range1,1,1),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS(Range1)))-1,COLUMNS(Range1),,)))>=ROWS($1:1),0),1))

Copy down as required.

In R1 (again, array-entered)

=IF(Q1="","",INDEX(INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),MATCH(Q1,INDEX(Range1,,1),0),),1,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),MATCH(Q1,INDEX(Range1,,1),0),)<>0,MATCH(INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),MATCH(Q1,INDEX(Range1,,1),0),),INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),MATCH(Q1,INDEX(Range1,,1),0),),0)),COLUMN(Range1)-MIN(COLUMN(Range1))+1),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(Range1)-MIN(COLUMN(Range1))+1)),COUNTIF($Q$1:$Q1,Q1))))

Copy down as required.

Regards

**Array formulas are not entered in the same way as 'standard' formulas. Instead of pressing just ENTER, you first hold down CTRL and SHIFT, and only then press ENTER. If you've done it correctly, you'll notice Excel puts curly brackets {} around the formula (though do not attempt to manually insert these yourself).</SPAN></SPAN>

Upvote 0
Hi,

The matter of returning unique items only complicates matters slightly.

Define Range1 this time as that range which comprises the smallest rectangle which encloses all the data underneath (but not including) Heading3 and across to your final Color (Color10 in your example).

In the cell immediately to the right of the top-rightmost cell in Range1, enter this array formula** and copy down as required:

=SUM(IF(INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),ROWS($1:1),)<>"",1/COUNTIF(INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),ROWS($1:1),),INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),ROWS($1:1),))))

Then, in e.g. Q1 (again, array-entered):

=IF(ROWS($1:1)>SUM(OFFSET(Range1,,COLUMNS(Range1),,1)),"",INDEX(Range1,MATCH(TRUE,MMULT((--(ROW(Range1)>=TRANSPOSE(ROW(Range1)))),SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET(INDEX(Range1,1,1),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS(Range1)))-1,COLUMNS(Range1),,)))>=ROWS($1:1),0),1))

Copy down as required.

In R1 (again, array-entered)

=IF(Q1="","",INDEX(INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),MATCH(Q1,INDEX(Range1,,1),0),),1,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),MATCH(Q1,INDEX(Range1,,1),0),)<>0,MATCH(INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),MATCH(Q1,INDEX(Range1,,1),0),),INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),MATCH(Q1,INDEX(Range1,,1),0),),0)),COLUMN(Range1)-MIN(COLUMN(Range1))+1),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(Range1)-MIN(COLUMN(Range1))+1)),COUNTIF($Q$1:$Q1,Q1))))

Copy down as required.

Regards

**Array formulas are not entered in the same way as 'standard' formulas. Instead of pressing just ENTER, you first hold down CTRL and SHIFT, and only then press ENTER. If you've done it correctly, you'll notice Excel puts curly brackets {} around the formula (though do not attempt to manually insert these yourself).

Hello XLOR,

Currently, the array formula for Q1 is working great (it is displaying the headings) but the one in R1 (which contains the colors) is giving me an error in Excel 2003 (Works fine on newer Excel though)

This is the array formula you gave me for R1:

Currently, it is highlighting that the second COLUMNS in the equation is causing the error in Excel 2003.

Upvote 0
Hmmm,

That 2003 nesting limitation again. I think it's best to create a couple of further Named Ranges to get around this. I also think the formula in Q1 should've errored in your case, so best to account for this one as well:

Name: Array1
Refers to: =
ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROWS(Range1)))

Name: Array2
Refers to:
=INDEX(OFFSET(Range1,,1,,COLUMNS(Range1)-1),MATCH(Sheet1!$Q1,INDEX(Range1,,1),0),)

Formulas are now:

In Q1:

=IF(ROWS($1:1)>SUM(OFFSET(Range1,,COLUMNS(Range1),,1)),"",INDEX(Range1,MATCH(TRUE,MMULT((--(ROW(Range1)>=TRANSPOSE(ROW(Range1)))),SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET(INDEX(Range1,1,1),Array1-1,COLUMNS(Range1),,)))>=ROWS($1:1),0),1))

In R1:

=IF(Q1="","",INDEX(Array2,1,SMALL(IF(FREQUENCY(IF(Array2<>0,MATCH(Array2,Array2,0)),COLUMN(Range1)-MIN(COLUMN(Range1))+1),TRANSPOSE(COLUMN(Range1)-MIN(COLUMN(Range1))+1)),COUNTIF($Q$1:$Q1,Q1))))

and should now be compatible with the nesting limit in 2003.

Regards

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxim_sivakon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back