How to set up data for a dashboard

sitewolf

A few months back I was asked to put a spreadsheet together that charts 2 different sets of data, by state and by month. What those sets are isn't relevant to my question since I can handle each set largely the same, but separately. What I put together is functional, but more tedious than necessary since I didn't set charts up to dynamically update each month when adding a new month of data.

I'm looking to create a whole new spread that not only updates dynamically, but that I can put a dashboard together on. The main set is sales numbers. Each month I add in sales numbers by state. I would like managers to be able to select time frames to look at (i.e. past 12 months), but also be able to see ytd comparisons (i.e. comparing Jan-Feb ytd 2013 to Jan-Feb ytd 2012).

I know about chandoo and plan to spend time there, but my initial question here has to do with how best to lay out data in the first place. Right now my data is set up with each state in columns and each month of sales in chronological rows below. Maybe that's all I need, but my question would have to do with doing ytd comparisons and whether I would need a separate table to put those numbers together (which seems somewhat overkill)

and btw, most users will have 2007

Suggestions?

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back