How to stop Excel from opening several workbooks connected to it

DrBacon

Hello!

I have a workbook with connections to 4 seaparate workbooks. All of a sudden when I open the main workbook, it opens all of the files connected to it. This did not happen before.

How could I stop Excel from doing this, while refreshing the connections as it used to?

Cheers

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
I see what causes the problem, but I am still unable to fix it. Even though the file is opened as read only, the files connected to the main file, when anyone else tries to open them, they are opened as read only.

Also, when other person opens the main file, while another person has the file opened, it not only opens the main file, but it opens all the secondary files as well.

My questions are:

-How can you make for the main file to update from the other files, without opening them. This works when only one person opens the file.
-How can you make the secondary files stop opening as read only when the main file is open.
-Is there a way for the main file (opened as read only) update from the secondary files, without locking access to the secondary files (it prompts the window "someone is using the file")

Many thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojomen56

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back