How to stop table from loading

Will85

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am new to power query, I have 8 tables loaded. I accessed Power Query through Excel. As far as I can tell the only way to save a file is to close and load.

At this point I am just testing/experimenting as I get comfortable with Power Query. I really just want to be able to close the workbook and come back to it where I left off with my testing/experimenting/filtering without having to load the data into the workbook.

When I right click on any of the Queries I have no option to deselect Enable Load, I dont even see Enable Load. I see: copy, paste, delete, rename, duplicate, reference, move to group, move up, move down, create function, convert to parameter, advanced editor, properties.

Additionally, I have utilized the merge queries as new function to create a new table, can I delete the original tables/queries or will that break my new query?

Finally, I am loading into Excel to QC my work because I am also new to PowerBI. But, I eventually want to get my finalized query into powerbi. Is there a way to copy a query from PowerQuery Excel to PowerQuery PowerBI? I am not sure how to phrase that, since I know PowerQuery is its own thing, but I cannot access it without loading the data first into one or the other Excel or PowerBI.

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Here is what you'll want to do to just make it a Connection rather than loading the data.
1715960129843.png

As for Power Query to Power BI. You can do 1 of 2 (or more) things. 1, Power BI has a Query Editor that is just like Power Query in Excel, so you can copy and paste into there. 2 (which is what I do), use Power Query Excel to create all of the sub processes I need completed and then link to the Power BI for published reporting/metrics.

Edited to Add: For Power Query Excel, you have to Close & Load and go back to your Workbook in order to Save the file. Hit Esc until all of your queries cancel, change it to Connection Only as shown above, and then Save. Power BI, however, will allow you to save your changes in the Query Editor without committing them to the report load.

Upvote 0
Thank you, I will try that now.

Have you ever had problems filtering after merging two tables?

I merged two tables, and now I am trying to filter the results, but if I try to filter based on columns that came from the right table, I get an error. Message=The column 'RevisionDate' was specified multiple times for '_'.

Revision date is not the column I am trying to use to apply the filter.

I notice I can filter on columns that came from the left table

Upvote 0
I don't recall receiving a message like that, but trusting my recall is a losing bet. I wouldn't be able to provide anything further without seeing more.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aby2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back