How to sum cell values until it reaches a value then count the number of rows in a dynamic table

sciphinupe

Hello Everyone,

I am in a dilemma I hope some wise person can help solve. I have a dynamic table consisting of 150+ rows with 3 main categories I'm looking to extract information. I've tried to use all forms of nesting SUMIFS & COUNTIFS and arrays but I can't figure it out and haven't seen any video form Mr. Excel on this topic. I'm hoping someone can share a formula or information that will:

1. Sum the number of orders exclusively for each part but only UP TO THE AMOUNT OF STOCK ON HAND

2. Count the number of rows it took for the number of orders to be as close as or equal to the stock on hand

For example, in the chart below there are 13 rows of orders/customers for 2 separate part numbers. Part A has 15 orders however there are only 2 in stock, and part B has 470 orders for however we only have 39 in stock.

I would like a formula I can use (for all the part number in my table) to be able to look at the 6 rows of part A and add cells in increments until the order number doesn't surpass stock on hand (SOH) number; 2. Also, to do the same thing for the 7 rows for part B.

Customers
PNOrdersStock on hand
Part A12
2Part A32
3Part A52
4Part A22
5Part A22
6Part A22
7Part B10039
8Part B10039
9Part B3839
10Part B10039
11Part B10039
12Part B139
13Part B3139

When calculating correctly I would like the formula to show for Part A one customer's order can be filled (because there is 2 SOH) but for Part B two customer's orders can be filled (customer 12 has 1 order & customer 13 has 31 orders; therefore, these two smaller orders within Part B's SOH should be satisfied first before that of customer 9's order).

I understand it's a lot to digest so hopefully someone will have an idea how I can tackle this issue. In summary, I need to understand how many customers' order lines have or have not been satisfied given the amount of available stock for each particular part. None the videos I watch for information I could find so far addresses how to count the number of remaining rows of a particular part after excluding rows that has met a criteria.

Thanks all so much!!!

Greg

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Greg
The macro below will write "Order can be filled" in Column E (assuming columns A to D are populated as per your example data) in each of the order rows which satisfy the conditions.

Sub CheckOrders()
Dim StartRow As Long
Dim EndRow As Long
Dim SamePartRows As Long
Dim c As Range
Dim SumOrder As Long
Range("E:E").Clear
StartRow = 2
EndRow = StartRow + Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("B:B"), Range("B" & StartRow).Value) - 1
'
Do Until EndRow = Range("B2").End(xlDown).Row Or EndRow > Range("B2").End(xlDown).Row
SamePartRows = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("B:B"), Range("B" & StartRow).Value)
EndRow = StartRow + SamePartRows - 1
Range(Range("B" & StartRow), Range("B" & EndRow)).Select
SumOrder = 0
For Each c In Selection
If c.Offset(0, 1).Value + SumOrder <= c.Offset(0, 2) Then
c.Offset(0, 3) = "Order can be filled"
SumOrder = SumOrder + c.Offset(0, 1).Value
End If
Next c
SamePartRows = Application.WorksheetFunction.CountIf(Range("B:B"), Range("B" & StartRow).Value)
StartRow = StartRow + SamePartRows
EndRow = StartRow + SamePartRows - 1
Loop
'
End Sub

Hope it helps!

Upvote 0
Hi Partho,

Thanks so much for your help! Two things I should have clarified:

1. For Part A there are only 2 items total and for Part B there are only 38 items total; the numbers shown in column D really is not per customer (the modified chart is below). Therefore, if 6 different customers are looking for Part A (total demand of 15) but we only have 2 parts available we'd like to satisfy as many customers as possible with the limited number of parts we have available.

Customers
PNOrdersStock on hand
Part A12
2Part A3
3Part A5
4Part A2
5Part A2
6Part A2
7Part B10039
8Part B100
9Part B38
10Part B100
11Part B100
12Part B1
13Part B31

2. There is another tab that is a pivot table using the data from this tab to sort out each part number, it's demand, and available stock on hand (SOH). I was hoping to avoid VBA (if possible) and find some COUNTIFS/SUMIFS & some other function as a nesting formula.

I've tried all combinations of COUNTIFS, SUMIFS, AGGREGATE, ROWS, and SUMPRODUCT however I still can not get the formula to only count the orders for the part I want (ignoring the other parts not selected), to sum only up to the number of SOH parts, then to count the number of rows it took to either match or not exceed the SOH number.

I don't know if anyone ever build a formula like this outside of VBA but if there some new function in Office Excel 2010 that I can use to count rows up to a certain number (while ignoring parts not in my criteria) that would be great!!

In the meantime I'll try your formula to see if I can make something happen.

Thanks again!!!

Greg

Upvote 0
If you don't want vba then would some helper columns be acceptable?
If so, does this do what you want?

Each formula copied down.

Excel Workbook
BCDEFG
1PNOrdersStock on handRankCan FillTotal Can Fill
2Part A1211 
3Part A325
4Part A526
5Part A222
6Part A222
7Part A2221
8Part B100394
9Part B100394
10Part B38393
11Part B100394
12Part B100394
13Part B13911
14Part B3139212
15Part C1211
16Part C424
17Part C1211
18Part C1212
Orders

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

Thanks so much! This is right in the ballpark of what I need however I have one more twist. Using your model how would I change the formula if I wanted to utilize as much stock on hand (SOH) to meet demand?

Let’s take Part B for example; what if I wanted to satisfy the customer in row 10 first then satisfy the customer in row 13? how would the formula change to "Rank" them 1 and 2 respectably instead of rows 13 and 14 as is currently shown on your table?

The rational is that by satisfying customers in row 10 [demand 38] and row 13 [demand 1] would not only be able to totally fulfill two customer orders but also ensure we have no remaining SOH. However, if I satisfied customers in rows 13 & 14 [demand of 1 and 31] I would be left with 7 parts left order (not enough to satisfy any of the other orders).

I'm trying to work with your formulas to see whether I can optimize the rankings but I'm so grateful you've been able to help me so much thus far!

If you have any additional ideas that can help I'd be ever so appreciative!

Regards,

Greg

Upvote 0
This is right in the ballpark of what I need however I have one more twist. Using your model how would I change the formula if I wanted to utilize as much stock on hand (SOH) to meet demand?

Let’s take Part B for example; what if I wanted to satisfy the customer in row 10 first then satisfy the customer in row 13? how would the formula change to "Rank" them 1 and 2 respectably instead of rows 13 and 14 as is currently shown on your table?

The rational is that by satisfying customers in row 10 [demand 38] and row 13 [demand 1] would not only be able to totally fulfill two customer orders but also ensure we have no remaining SOH. However, if I satisfied customers in rows 13 & 14 [demand of 1 and 31] I would be left with 7 parts left order (not enough to satisfy any of the other orders).
:confused: I did wonder about that myself when I read your original request, but didn't ask about it because you specifically stated:
.. for Part B two customer's orders can be filled (customer 12 has 1 order & customer 13 has 31 orders; therefore, these two smaller orders within Part B's SOH should be satisfied first before that of customer 9's order).
Anyway, I'll have a look and see.

Upvote 0
:confused: I did wonder about that myself when I read your original request, but didn't ask about it because you specifically stated:
Anyway, I'll have a look and see.
I don't see any feasible way to test all combinations to determine which combination comes closest to using the whole stock, particularly with a formula.

vba may be possible, but I'm not thinking of an easy way there either so far.

I don't know how big your actual lists are but even for the following example, I don't see a feasible logical way to arrive at the best total <= 103. For example, I can't see that ranking the values would be any use at all.
There would be the added complication of what to do if two (or more) completely different combinations gave the same total 'best result', as in the following where that optimum total can be arrived at two ways.

Excel Workbook
ABC
1PNOrdersStock
2Part A17103
3Part A91103
4Part A13103
5Part A32103
6Part A18103
7Part A16103
8Part A5103
9Part A21103
10Part A5103
Orders

Upvote 0
<<I don't know how big your actual lists are but even for the following example, I don't see a feasible logical way to arrive at the best total <= 103. For example, I can't see that ranking the values would be any use at all.
There would be the added complication of what to do if two (or more) completely different combinations gave the same total 'best result', as in the following where that optimum total can be arrived at two ways.

Orders

*ABC
1PNOrdersStock
2Part A17103
3Part A91103
4Part A13103
5Part A32103
6Part A18103
7Part A16103
8Part A5103
9Part A21103
10Part A5103

<tbody>
</tbody>
>>

Thanks Peter. I've been trying to find a way to get this last step also but I think your original formula is the best work-around answer. Your chart above does pose an interesting paradox that can't easily be solved in Excel.

Using your original formula I believe will accomplish 95% of what needs to be done, and if by some chance there is a case where one set of orders is a better selection than another set of orders the overall difference/impact I bet will be nominal.

I'll keep thinking about how to optimize this last step but in the meanwhile I have to thank you and Partho so much again for working on the original formula and sharing your findings with me. I will put them to good use!

Regards,

Greg

Upvote 0
Afternoon Peter,

I found a glitch with the formula. If the number 1 is used for stock on hand the formula won't put 1 as the "can fill" value (especially for multiple customer orders of 1). See the table below:

*PNOrdersStock on hand
1PNOrdersStock
2Part A11
3Part A41
4Part A11
5Part A11

<tbody>
</tbody>
>>

I'm trying to figure how to adjust your formula to work with 1s in the SOH cells. If you have any ideas that I can try I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Greg

Upvote 0
Afternoon Peter,

I found a glitch with the formula.
Not greatly tested, but does this fix it (& still work with the other circumstances)?

=IF(AND(SUMIFS(C$2:C$20,B$2:B$20,B2,E$2:E$20,"<"&E2)+C2<=D2,SUMIFS(C$2:C2,B$2:B2,B2,E$2:E2,"<="&E2)<=D2),1,"")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gitad

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back