How to track user issue feedback

colmsmyth

Hey all

Hopefully someone has got a good way of doing this that is somewhat automated or at least 'less' manual. In my company we keep and Issue Log of various issues.

For example see below something like what we have.

IDRaised ByCategoryIssue DetailsReviewer ResponseStatus
001Joe BlogsCodeThe code is wrong at section 2.1.5No it's not please provide more detailsOpen

<tbody>
</tbody>

You can see that someone raises a comment, and then pending review of the 'Reviewer Response' the raiser will change the status from open to closed.

However the problem occurs when the 'Reviewer Response' does not allow us to close the issue and they come back with a question or they state it is not an issue when it still is. Up to know people will just edit the existing issue and add their initials and a new comment below the original issue. But you can imagine after multiple review rounds how messy things get.

IDRaised ByCategoryIssue DetailsReviewer ResponseStatus
001Joe BlogsCodeThe code is wrong at section 2.1.5No it's not please provide more detailsOpen
001.01Joe BlogsCodeThe code at section 2.1.5 is wrong at sub-section 7.8 for sub-routine 27Open

<tbody>
</tbody>

Above is what I was thinking, rather than editing the original issue, that we just make a brand new issue with the ID suffixed with .xx and now when we filter on ID=001 we can select all versions of 001 and see the history all together.

Anyone got a good way to do something like this or an alternative, 'Track Changes' is not an open, mainly because it's terrible ;)

Thanks

Colm

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Of main concern (at least in my mind) is how to individually identify each issue - to keep it separate from other issues.
With the example you've provided, the unique identifier would be Code Section 2.1.5 . Being able to search or sort
on this single item would be imperative for future references.

Is this for troubleshooting code or ??? What is the product you are trouble shooting ?

Upvote 0
Hi there

No the identification must be the ID column, its not all code issues, some is data issues, some will be just queries of various things. So we can't identify anything via the 'Issue Details' text.

I guess what I am trying to do is look for a way i could highlight a row, and somehow have a menu appear after a certain key press that would let me say 'Associate with ID' and then I pick my ID....even if I have to manually find the ID. Perhaps then I just need a column that will say 'Associated ID' for example ?

Thanks

Colm

Of main concern (at least in my mind) is how to individually identify each issue - to keep it separate from other issues.
With the example you've provided, the unique identifier would be Code Section 2.1.5 . Being able to search or sort
on this single item would be imperative for future references.

Is this for troubleshooting code or ??? What is the product you are trouble shooting ?

Upvote 0
How will others know which ID number to choose ? All it is ... is a number. It doesn't specify anything.

How many different issues, on average, will this track at any given time ?

Upvote 0
A valid question.....I guess up to now, each new issue that appears is reviewed by me for example, so I would filter for other similar issues manually to see if any are the same just perhaps with a slight difference but the resolution would be the same for both etc.

Excel is not ideal for this, it should be in a database but sadly Excel is too widely used and convincing people to try and use Access or other wise wont work, also need to consider that these sheets sometimes have client input and we can send them a database etc everytime.

Upvote 0
I believe you can do this with Excel, just fine.

How many issues, on average, are you receiving each day or week ?
I'm just trying to visualize this in my mind.

I'm visualizing a USER FORM for data entry with an 'auto sort' macro for the worksheet, focused on the ID number. At this point I'm thinking
the user is entering all the information ... but you've said you review every issue for inclusion to the database. So it really doesn't matter how the
issue is reported cuz you'll be finalizing how it appears on the worksheet ?

Upvote 0
Yes, I did consider a form might work well but I just dont know enough about them myself...In terms of size, the excel data could be hundreds or rows.

All issues will be in the table etc......however often people enter the same issue more than once but worded differently.....In short I just want an easy way to keep any issues that are not resolved by the reviewers first comment to be tidy and searchable so that they can all be called up together.

Imagine an IT ticket perhaps, you can often add to the ticket if it is not fixed the first time around...

Thanks

Colm

I believe you can do this with Excel, just fine.

How many issues, on average, are you receiving each day or week ?
I'm just trying to visualize this in my mind.

I'm visualizing a USER FORM for data entry with an 'auto sort' macro for the worksheet, focused on the ID number. At this point I'm thinking
the user is entering all the information ... but you've said you review every issue for inclusion to the database. So it really doesn't matter how the
issue is reported cuz you'll be finalizing how it appears on the worksheet ?

Upvote 0
My question is, why re-invent the wheel?
There are plenty of issue trackers on the market, free to use.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maXam

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back