Import Access data from a database on a read-only server

rmmhie

Hi guys, any quick help is greatly appreciated.

There is an Access database on a network drive. I have an Excel sheet on my local PC. This Excel sheet has a import & linked table from the database.

Its set to read-only. Any changes in the database reflect in Excel, and if I edit the Excel data, nothing happens to the original data in Access.

Now this works great for me because I have full privileges to that network drive.

I sent the Excel file to someone who has no privileges to the network drive. Now the table wont update. So, we gave the user "read-only" privileges and now we get an error "cannot lock file".

The error only goes away if the user has full read/write privileges to the drive.

Anyway around this?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Unfortunately, no.
The reason is that when you launch Access, a 1kb locking database (same name, but with an .ldb extension) is created in the directory housing the database.
If you don't have read/write access to the directory, you can't create the .ldb and Access returns the error you described, and won't open.
You will need instead to limit the user's access via permissions in the database.

Denis

Upvote 0
Thank you for th reply Sir.

I was aware of the locking file. Thats why the user would need read/write permission on the directory. I was worried that someone would delete my database. Today I found out the "read-write" only means that people can access the database and make changes to it. To delete the actual file they must have "modify" privilages. My database is passpord protected and no one can open it so I am safe. And since no one can delete it I am satisfied. I have changed the folder permissions to read-write for those users who will need access to it.

However, now I am having problems with locking cells in the Excel sheet. I will be posting a new thread.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yesitisasport

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back