Interest table question

DT1962

Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all,

I'm an Excel novice and I need some help as I am wondering how I might go about resolving an issue with a loan repayment table I'm working on.

I set up a table for the year with all dates from Jan 1, 2023-Dec 31, 2023. Interest is calculated daily while fixed payments are made on the loan on the 1st day of every month.

I've designated each day of the year with an adjacent column determining if it's a weekend and another which tells me if it's a day where a holiday lands/is observed (i.e. if January 1st is a Saturday, the holiday would be observed Monday, January 3rd).

I was able to apply a formula to the fixed payment column to populate if it's the 1st of the month, a weekday and not a holiday. If it's the 1st, a weekend or a holiday, it leaves it blank.

What I would really like it to do is if the 1st is a Saturday, to jump up 1 cell and populate the payment there, or if the 1st is a Sunday to jump down 1 cell and populate the payment there.

I would like to be able to do this with the interest column eventually, but cross that bridge y'know?

Is there any way to do this? Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.
It seems to me that each row would need to know the context of the rows immediately before or after it. I don't really know the full extent of your calculation rules, but in addition to checking if the current date matches the rules for a payment, you'd need to check if the day before/after matches criteria that would make the current date a payment. You could accomplish this through a series of IF statements, but it might be easier to add a few helper columns: does today require payment, does yesterday mean a payment is required today, does tomorrow mean a payment is required today. If any of those are true then you have a payment.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
grantrob

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back