Introduction to myself

jessicabrown

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi everyone,
My name... Well, it is my username, Jessica Brown. A little about me, I went to college back in the 90's for computer engineering and ironically, I taught SAR (Search and Rescue Dogs), as well as being a dog handler for 6 years at Ft. Knox. Then I switched to a Linux System Administrator. Ok, so this is starting off with Ok, who cares... Why are you on a Microsoft Excel user group if you played with dogs and worked on Linux? I thought the same thing. Well... I don't have a really good answer, but I wanted to learn Excel better, so I started doing a bunch of stuff mostly to keep my bills organized. I really don't like LibreOffice, Google Sheets is eh, and all the other stuff is mediocre at best.

So, I have been scouring Excel forums to learn, and Mr. Excel was the best place to get many answers to my questions as I was teaching myself a Microsoft product. Ironically, it was this user group that is costing me $100 a year to keep Office and have 1 computer with Windows on it.

I have learned a lot from this community, and I wanted to post one of my creations to get feedback, maybe some more ideas, more tips, or to just get booted out of the community, whichever comes first, I guess. I read the rules of the board, read over the guidelines, so maybe someone would like to play with this project that I am working on. Hopefully it will help them as much as it helps me. Maybe I'll get crucified like the Salem Witch Trials, either way it may be fun.

I was a government worker for 22 years, my primary job is a System Administrator and application developer, although I am only a Linux admin. So why did I choose MS Excel? I don't know... More tutorials, more templates, more functions, eh, whatever...

So, I got paid twice per month, and I got tired of remembering to pay my bills and it seemed like every weekend I was calculating, stamping, and mailing all the bills out. So, I made a simple spreadsheet with Libre Office, to put all my bills in, opened a second checking account, and set up each bill to auto pay. Getting paid semi-monthly, it was easy to know how much to put in the checking on each paycheck to make sure the bills were covered.

Then... I left the government job and started working for a company that pays every other week, this started to get really confusing since twice a year I got paid three times per month, and many checks would have to cover the next month's bills until my first check for the month. It was hard to keep track of. This is where my latest version would take the bill date, and assign an amount for each check, no matter where it fell into the month. Hence my version of BillMaster v1.0. I am not asking for any money, I am not spying on anyone's account information, this is just me learning, and hopefully making something that will work. If you're interested in playing with it, here is the GitHub page: GitHub - girls-whocode/BillMaster: An advanced Bill organizer with Pay down system

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonnaRisso

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back