Is There a Simpler Form of Macros That Can Used With Excel

sm2200

Board Regular
Prior to Exce,l I used the spreadsheet in Symphony. It was very similar to Lotus 123. I did not need macros often but when I did I learned how to write programs using Symphony's relatively simple form of macros and it was quite sufficient for the work I did.
Since switching to Excel, I find their macros (VBA) to be very difficult to learn, especially since I infrequently have to use macros.
I believe that Excel should have provided the user with 2 sets of macros, VBA and the simpler form used in Lotus 123.
Is there any way of using a simple form of macros in Excel? Or is there a software program out there that piggybacks on Excel so that the simpler macro programming can be used?

Thanks,

Sam Marx

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
Try to record the macro and then read the code to see what it did.

It is not the most efficient way of writing macros, but you will get the jist of it.

Then, you can post specific questions to this board for further help.

Upvote 0
Sam

I think the basic answer is no.

What specific problems are you having?

By the way what exactly do you mean by 'simpler'.

As far as I recall macros in 1-2-3 consisted of sets of instructions that bore an uncanny resemblance to hieroglyphs.

Upvote 0
Symphony or Lotus 123 had obvious macro instructions similar to BASIC such {GOTO}A1~, {If A1<500}{Multiply}~, {Calc}, {Let A1,20)~, {Multiply A1, A2}, etc. It was simple and could be learned in a half day.
I tried learning VBA, and was spinning my wheels. I don't use macros that often and I don't want to spend 2 or 3 days on VBA and still not understand it to write a program every 6 or 7 months.
There are probably a lot others out there with the same problem learning VBA.
If you fellows at Mr. Excel want to write a commercial Excel add-on program that there is a need for, I suggest a simplified macro program somewhat analagous to BASIC, as Symphony or Lotus 123 had.

Sam Marx

Upvote 0
Sam

In my opinion that isn't simpler than Visual Basic.

In fact I can see it being totally unreadable if you tried to do anything particularly complicated.

By the way what is the code you posted supposed to do?

Upvote 0
I learned the Lotus/Symphony code in a half day but could not learn Excel's VBA in 2 -3 days. The Lotus code is similar to BASIC which I and almost every programmer knows so I found it easy to learn.

The instructions that I sent you were just individual unconnected commands.

From what you say, I'm assuming that you never used Lotus 123 or its macros. If you didn't, please discuss Lotus vs. Excel's macros with someone who has, I'm sure they will confirm that learning the Lotus code was much simpler than learning the VBA code.

Books have been written trying to teach VBA but it only took one 35 page chapter to clearly explain how to program Lotus macros. I'll grant you that VBA can probably do more, is more flexible, etc. , but if you only write a macro infrequently as I do, then my choice for macros has to be Lotus/Symphony.

Also, please pass on my suggestion to the Mr. Excel Board of their writing an add-on program for Excel to use a simple macro code similar to Lotus. I think it has commercial possibilities.

Thanks,
Sam Marx

Upvote 0
Sam

I have used both Lotus 1-2-3 macros and LotusScript, though not recently.

I'm not saying it's easier to learn VBA.

The 'macros' you are describing aren't really equivalent to VBA, I would say that LotusScript is the equivalent.

Upvote 0
I guess we are at an impasse.

I bought & tried to learn VBA from a few different books and found them unsatisfactory from my standpoint. I haven't tried the Mr. Excel's book but I feel that I will run up against the same problem, in addition I don't want to spend 2 or 3 days trying to learn a system that I'll only use infrequently and as I said I believe the result will be the same.

I taught engineering math, calculus, & statistics in college, and many times I found problems with the way the assigned books were written, so I referred those students who were having difficulty to use as a companion manual/workbook on the same subject, a book published by Schaums. I don't know if you're familiar with Schaum's texts but they are loaded with worked out completed examples which helped the students understand the required text.

I don't think Schaum's has a VBA manual/workbook, I will check, but I'd advise you or someone at Mr. Excel to look over their manuals, perhaps someone at Mr. Excel might want to write a similar manual on VBA for Schaums

Thanks,

Sam Marx

Upvote 0
Sam

There are hundreds of books for VBA.

Of course there not all going to be to everyone's taste.

Personally I've never really used books other than for reference.

Can the macros you describe to file manipulation?

Do they have an object model for the spreadsheet environment?

Upvote 0
"Object Model for the Spreadsheet Environment" I never read that in their instructions.

"Can the macros you describe to file manipulation" I Don't understand. Do you mean "do file manipulation", if so, I don't think so.

I checked Schaums list and they had "Excel VBA MACRO PROGRAMMING" by Richard Sheperd. Like a second marriage, I ordered it with HOPE despite EXPERIENCE.

Sam Marx

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naes

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back