Is there any way to make pivot charts look better

MJK

Board Regular
I've been expermenting with pivot charts. They work great, but all you can get when using a bar chart is a blue bar. I tried reformatting the chart, changing the bar colors, adding values - until it looks great. But once i refresh the data - I lose everything and am left with the default blue bars. Is there a work around ?

"With ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1)"

Is a chart selected?

You could also reference the chart using something like ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(1).Chart, but you have to let the program know which chart it should be working on.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you sort left to right?
To sort left-to-right, use the Sort dialog box. Click Options. Choose "Sort left to right"
Yes, that is a downside of pivot charts (and pivot tables). Several formatting options get reset each time the table/chart is refreshed.

What you should do is create custom code that makes the changes you want. To do that, select the PC, then turn on the macro recorder (Tools | Macro > Record new macro...), do the customization you want, and turn off the recorder. Now, earch time you redo the chart, select it and run the code.

Edit: Alternatively, you can do what I do often. Use the data from the pivot table but create my own 'regular' chart. Now, the chart refreshes whenever the PT does but it doesn't lose any formatting -- with the added benefit that there is no code to worry about.

MJK said:
I've been expermenting with pivot charts. They work great, but all you can get when using a bar chart is a blue bar. I tried reformatting the chart, changing the bar colors, adding values - until it looks great. But once i refresh the data - I lose everything and am left with the default blue bars. Is there a work around ?

MJK, I've tried both your examples to get rid of the default blue bars. The macro works fine except I have to make macros for each chart. Not that many charts so not a huge deal.
I liked the "MyOwnRegular" chart idea. However, when I make my chart and save it as "MyOwnRegular" when I go back to it, the bars are default blue.I have to select the "MyOwnRegular" from the chart type.

Short of writing code, which I have no genuine knowledge about, is this the way Excel 2003 handles chart formatting? That is, it ALWAYS reverts back to blue bars?

k

Upvote 0
This might be too simple a solution for your needs, but changing the default table colors might help. I have several charts that include "Male" and "Female" bars that I preferred to be colored blue and pink respectively. On the advice of another board member, I went to "Tools, Options, Colors" and picked pink and blue as my first two "chart fills." Works perfectly.

Upvote 0
Thanks, Sanador.

This is really just a question about how Excel works. Your solution is creative and I'll use it. However, sometimes my bars are fairly colorful. I like to use a two color fill. The macro solves the problem. However, I have to create a new macro for new color bars.

I wonder what happens if I use a pivot table chart in a Powerpoint presentation. That is, the chart updates, the bars do not. Will the Powerpoint slide show have flat blue bars?

k

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rscraig11

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back