is there any way to save a file in a csv format, but rename the extension when saving it to another 3 letters

soundengineer

Simply put
I have a device that saves tables in a standard csv format.....but it names them as a .etf

Wondering if there is a way to allow add a custom extension name to excel.... and tell it to to treat it as a csv......
and when I save it, to retain the .etf name(and not name it .csv)

so I could just open it in excel without having to rename it first and without having to rename it again when I save it

is this possible?

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Hey @soundengineer,

@shg is correct. However, you may have to select the file type of "All Files (*.*)" from the dropdown above the Open button in the Open dialog box for your .etf file(s) to appear as openable. On my Excel 2013, the default open file types are ".prn, .txt, .csv". If I don't select "All Files", .etf files do not appear as openable.

After you select the file in the Open dialog box, you will be prompted to define how you want the file to be imported in several dialog boxes. If you would like a more streamlined approach, using VBA will probably be your best option.

Brian

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjames12

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back