ISO: Free VBA tutorials

Johnny C

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I've been asked to train some co-workers in VBA. They have no knowledge of VBA at all (except 1 chap), and can't edit code. I have little experience of training and what I do have is limited to people who already knew a lot about Excel (and that wasn't VBA).

First they need the basics - editting a macro, sub structure, basic object and data types. They need to learn to programme to interact with data on a worksheet, the three simple process types (assignment, loops, conditional statements).

What else would I need to consider?

I know that in the 2hour slot I've been given the first 10 things will be remembered and the rest forgotten probably (there will be follow-up classes to firm that up) but I'll give them a simple automation exercise to do

Are there any online resources I could use as a basis? I've got an old John Walkenbach book CD which I'll have a look at but I think that the exercise will need to be tailored to subjects with which they are familiar (retail banking).

Any advice gratefully received

What's programming experience? Alas I just found the VBA editor one day and started playing, hence why my code can be, at best, a bit flaky at times :confused:

In my favour though places like this exist which I've doubt provide more help than anyone got 20-30 years ago.

Dom

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
You can say that again!

In my comp sci degree, in our first year we were shown how to log on to the mainframe (Multics), given a Pascal book, then each month given a programme spec and told to get on with it. The lecturers were all told not to give us any help or guidance (and they didn't). A bit of an induction by fire which involved many 24hour+ sessions slaving over a hot terminal close to a deadline. But it taught us how to read and understand programming language manuals, a skill which comes in well handy when understanding the VBA help sometimes; my intuition just tells me that that an odd turn of phrase suggests there's a whole topic I need to research.

These days students can visit a site like this and get their coursework done for them.

It's a bit harsh perhaps but when I see 'I'm a student...' in a post I ignore it, let them figure it out for themselves as we had to do.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emilou

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back