keyboard shortcut to formula editing field (literally) in Excel? (Not F2)

mountainclimber11

Board Regular
I am looking for the keyboard shortcut to edit a formula in the formula edit field. I am not looking for similar functionality such as F2, which allows you to edit the formula, but only with the cursor in the cell you are working on.
Put another way, I am looking to move my cursor to the field to the right of the "fx" (function sign + "x") field that is just below the ribbon so I can edit a formula in Excel and have it behave the way I want.
I know many will ask why. The main reason I want to do this is when formulas get long they wrap (which is difficult to follow) and/or cover up adjacent cells (which makes modeling more difficult). I don't want to change the wrapping behavior etc. because I actually use it (it is helpful) in some cases.
I do not want a solution that involves a macro because I want this to work on any computer I am working on.
Been Excel'ing for a long time and this is one of the few things I have to go to the mouse for and it slows me down.

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
I'm not sure I follow you. What are you looking to accomplish that F2 followed by some combination of arrow keys, SHIFT + arrow keys, or CTRL + arrow keys cannot?

Maybe just dragging the lower edge of the formula down so that it always shows two lines would fix the issue you're trying to circumvent?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I follow you. What are you looking to accomplish that F2 followed by some combination of arrow keys, SHIFT + arrow keys, or CTRL + arrow keys cannot?

Maybe just dragging the lower edge of the formula down so that it always shows two lines would fix the issue you're trying to circumvent?

I believe that the OP (correct me if I am wrong OP) is looking to essentially click in the formula bar using the keyboard.

Upvote 0

The reason's are clearly listed in my question. I don't want as much wrapping, like you get when you press F2. I am aware of all the shortcuts you suggest, but none of those address what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
taken from Quick access to Excel formula bar via keyboard - TechRepublic

When entering formulas, you select a cell and start typing. To edit an existing formula, you probably make changes in the Formula bar. Recently, I noticed several Excel students reaching for the mouse and clicking the Formula bar to edit formulas. That method's Okay, but some people find it easier to work from the keyboard as much as possible. If that describes you, press [F2] instead of reaching for the mouse the next time you want to edit an existing formula.To me, it hardly seemed worth mentioning. Admittedly, substituting a single keystroke for a mouse click doesn't seem like a big deal, unless you prefer the keyboard (at least most of the time). The keyboard approach isn't more efficient, it's just different.

If pressing [F2] positions the cursor in the cell instead of the Formula bar, do the following:

From the Tools menu, choose Options.
Click the Edit tab.
Uncheck the Edit Directly In Cell option in the Settings area.
Click OK.

If you're using Excel 2007, do the following:

Click the Office button and then click Excel Options (at the bottom right).
Select Advanced in the left pane.
Uncheck the Allow Editing Directly In Cell option.
Click OK.

hope i understood

Upvote 0
taken from Quick access to Excel formula bar via keyboard - TechRepublic

When entering formulas, you select a cell and start typing. To edit an existing formula, you probably make changes in the Formula bar. Recently, I noticed several Excel students reaching for the mouse and clicking the Formula bar to edit formulas. That method's Okay, but some people find it easier to work from the keyboard as much as possible. If that describes you, press [F2] instead of reaching for the mouse the next time you want to edit an existing formula.To me, it hardly seemed worth mentioning. Admittedly, substituting a single keystroke for a mouse click doesn't seem like a big deal, unless you prefer the keyboard (at least most of the time). The keyboard approach isn't more efficient, it's just different.

If pressing [F2] positions the cursor in the cell instead of the Formula bar, do the following:

From the Tools menu, choose Options.
Click the Edit tab.
Uncheck the Edit Directly In Cell option in the Settings area.
Click OK.

If you're using Excel 2007, do the following:

Click the Office button and then click Excel Options (at the bottom right).
Select Advanced in the left pane.
Uncheck the Allow Editing Directly In Cell option.
Click OK.

hope i understood

I implied this, but I should have also mentioned this directly: I don't want to change options setting every time I am using someone's computer then change it back for them, so options settings are not a great way to go for me. In addition, this disables the ability to edit in the cell, which is desirable to me sometimes. See my original question please.

Is there something that just gets you up in the formula bar without changing any other behavior?

PS - for the guy who sees this thread and is okay with changing options and you have 2013: File>Options>Advanced>Editing Options>change check Allow editing in cells. See it here: https://support.office.com/en-us/ar...n-or-off-24f9ff26-418f-437b-8b65-d1d43cff4900

Last edited:
Upvote 0
try this

Press F2
Then Ctrl + A

Okay, that is one I didn't know, so thank you! However, the root of the problem is the wrapping that is caused when you press F2. It covers up adjacent cell values etc. F2 Ctrl + A does get me up there in the formula bar, but it doesn't remove the wrapping issue, which is part of the reason I want to be in the formula bar. Another reason (that I didn't mention) is that I can always see a lot of the formula in the formula bar with very little wrapping involved.

It is much easier to debug a formula in the formula bar because I can see long lines of the formula I am working on without wrapping and the wrapping in the cell doesn't occur so I can see every cell.

Try just clicking in the formula bar vs. your method and you will see that the F2 often covers adjacent cells.

So I think I need to go directly to the formula bar, but I am open to whatever gets me the behavior I want.

Upvote 0
try this

Press F2
Then Ctrl + A

Thanks again for the suggestion, but I also see another issue with F2 then Ctrl + A, it doesn't color code and highlight the cell references like when you click up in the formula bar. I use the reference highlighting a lot when I model.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yuppies466

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back