Keyboard Shortcuts Stopped Working During Formulas

aberharbie

Hello,
I'm an avid user of keyboard shortcuts in Excel 2007. Last week, while I was trying to enter a SUMIF formula, I encountered a new issue with a keystroke combination I've been using forever!

Steps to recreate issue:
Assume Months (Jan-Feb) are in A1:A12.
Assume numerical values are in B1:B12.
In C1, type =SUMIF(
Hit left arrow twice to move cursor to A1.
Press and hold CTRL, then press SHIFT, then press down arrow to select A1:A12.

This is when I receive the error:
"You've entered too few arguments for this function. To get help with this function..."

Oddly enough, when I press SHIFT and then press CTRL (instead of CTRL SHIFT), I can continue entering the formula without a problem.

This only started happening recently, and is a problem regardless of the workbook I'm in. It happens with COUNTIF, and any other formula where I'm attempting to select a range without using the mouse.

CTRL+SHIFT+DOWN works properly when not entering a formula, so I know it's not an issue with the keyboard.

I'd be most appreciative for any advice/help resolving this issue.

Excel Facts

Quick Sum
Select a range of cells. The total appears in bottom right of Excel screen. Right-click total to add Max, Min, Count, Average.
After you select the range with CTRL-SHIFT-DOWN press the comma key which should take you to the next argument in the function. If you press enter you will get the error msg.

Upvote 0
See steps above to recreate issue: The problem is, while in the sum formula (use sum instead of sumif for this example), when selecting your sum range using ctrl+shift+arrow, once you hit the arrow key the formula editor exits without capturing the sum range, leaving you with just sum(B1) instead of sum(B1:B12).

If the ctrl+shift+arrow functionality within a formula is working, I've been able to recreate this error in Excel 2007 by going to Excel Options-->Advanced and checking/unchecking "Transition navigation keys" under 'Lotus Compatibility.' Once done, cycling the checkbox will not fix the problem.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MJS_53

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back