Learning Excel Macro now or wait for more AI?

anaconda777

Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello members!

I have some aspects of my job that could be done more efficiently with Excel macros.

To put it simply, I want to start with a spreadsheet with a significant amount of information, and turn it into a particular report. Steps would include: adjusting rows and columns, transferring data to particular cells, removing particular information, populating in formulas, color formatting, etc.

I am under the assumption I could tell an AI to do this, using regular human language, in the not so distant future.

Is it worth learning the Macros codes now from scratch? It can feel daunting at times.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
The warning at the top of this forum may give you a hint:
1686154603658.png

There has been a LOT of bad info coming from AI right now, as it pertains to Excel VBA code. Maybe at some point in the future, it will be more reliable. How soon? I have no idea.

I would recommend learning Excel Macros. It is a good skill to have. Just start small, and work your way up.
The Macro Recorder is a great tool for beginners. You can record yourself performing steps manually in Excel, then stop the Macro Recorder, and see what the code behind it looks like.
I would also recommend either getting a good introductory VBA book (the MrExcel bookstore has some of those), or finding some good on-line tutorials.
And you can always post here with any specific questions!

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fcarfagna

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back